Back injury on chicken šŸ“

Chiknoodle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So, yesterday evening my youngest barred rock hen, Hazel, had this weird place on her back. It was a hole with brown stuff in it. I do know that she is going broody. Is it from my roo? Is this something I should be worried about?:hide
2F590D54-326D-465E-8AF1-36DF251B62E5.jpeg

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Looks like it may have started with roo and multiple services made it worse. Dust bathing will fill it with stuff. I'd gently wash it out and add some bluecote...keep them separatefor a while....pen him if only a few hens...let them have a rest. May want to check his spurs for a trim.

robertheim

Herd lurker
Reaction score
So, yesterday evening my youngest barred rock hen, Hazel, had this weird place on her back. It was a hole with brown stuff in it. I do know that she is going broody. Is it from my roo? Is this something I should be worried about?:hideView attachment 87404
png to ico

Clean the wound, use generous amounts of antiseptic, bring her in and give her the quietest, least stressful environment you can. Food, water. If she becomes stressed, try bringing in another hen with her. Monitor her for a few days for healing. Hope for the best.

Chiknoodle

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Her wound is healing. She is not doing the best tho. She got her toe stuck in the door the other day. Tow nail and bottom of foot half off.

Latest posts