Back to the country... Northern NY

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hi all!

My name is LeeAnna. Hubby (John) and I are about to close on a gorgeous place near Watertown, NY. We're super excited for raise our boys (10y & 2y) in the country, and I'm eager to get back into herd animals. Our place has a giant old bank barn (3 stories!) Which needs some medium level rehab, tons of woods, as well as the house and garage, and a rental where my sister will live with her family! It's going to be an amazing littlevillage and we're super excited to slowly add animals.

ATM we have a qh to bring home from being boarded, and a trio of donkeys to keep him company. (After I put up fencing and build a shed). My sister is getting goats asap. I'm hoping we can add chickens in 2022. We also want to add and slowly increase our kitchen garden. Someday, I'd love to have pigs. And goodness only knows what else we'll get into lol.

I grew up on a hobby horse farm, and in 4h, so I've got lots of background, but this will be our first foray into trying to feed ourselves off the farm. I'm so excited to share this lifestyle with our boys.

Outside of farming things, we like being active, doing art/craft stuff, cooking, baking, homeschool, reading and games (board, tabletop, PC, you name it.)

I look forward to chatting, learning and networking here!

LeeAnna

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hi all!

My name is LeeAnna. Hubby (John) and I are about to close on a gorgeous place near Watertown, NY. We're super excited for raise our boys (10y & 2y) in the country, and I'm eager to get back into herd animals. Our place has a giant old bank barn (3 stories!) Which needs some medium level rehab, tons of woods, as well as the house and garage, and a rental where my sister will live with her family! It's going to be an amazing littlevillage and we're super excited to slowly add animals.

ATM we have a qh to bring home from being boarded, and a trio of donkeys to keep him company. (After I put up fencing and build a shed). My sister is getting goats asap. I'm hoping we can add chickens in 2022. We also want to add and slowly increase our kitchen garden. Someday, I'd love to have pigs. And goodness only knows what else we'll get into lol.

I grew up on a hobby horse farm, and in 4h, so I've got lots of background, but this will be our first foray into trying to feed ourselves off the farm. I'm so excited to share this lifestyle with our boys.

Outside of farming things, we like being active, doing art/craft stuff, cooking, baking, homeschool, reading and games (board, tabletop, PC, you name it.)

I look forward to chatting, learning and networking here!

LeeAnna
Welcome to BYH! :welcome

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Oops, I posted too fast! I was going to say...

I have 5 boys, and raised them up with lots of animals and chores.

Boys learn so much better, and are much better behaved when they are physically tired! So morning chores are great!

For the goats, I can't stress enough that you need very good fence. Goats are fun, and we milked goats for years until my kids started growing up and leaving the house... but... FENCE.

Horses are much easier to fence. Also QH tend to be sensible, which means easier to fence. I know nothing about donkeys.

Fantastic on the barn! That means you have space for animals, junk, AND loads of hay!

Thefarmofdreams

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oops, I posted too fast! I was going to say...

I have 5 boys, and raised them up with lots of animals and chores.

Boys learn so much better, and are much better behaved when they are physically tired! So morning chores are great!

For the goats, I can't stress enough that you need very good fence. Goats are fun, and we milked goats for years until my kids started growing up and leaving the house... but... FENCE.

Horses are much easier to fence. Also QH tend to be sensible, which means easier to fence. I know nothing about donkeys.

Fantastic on the barn! That means you have space for animals, junk, AND loads of hay!
Thank you for the warm welcome and thoughts!

I agree about tired being better. It is a big part of wanting this property, lol!!!

And we're trying REALLY hard to do EXCELLENT research about the animals. Definitely excellent fencing for goats. Luckily, the donkeys and my horse are both great with fences and simple to contain. And agreed on the barn! I was super excited about it. We have a 'basement' level for livestock, the main level for horses and equipment and such, and a loft for hay. It is incredibly exciting!!!! 😁

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, our horses would stay inside a 2 strand temporary electric fence.... easy peasy.

The goats? Ha! :barnie
:he
:rant

Latest posts