Back with Questions about Dotti and kids

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Thank you, it all makes sense now. Not once during all my reading for Brawn ever mention this. I never thought to check. Now i know to always check after birth. I am thinking to put Coco back with Dotti before she dries up. I just thought if i could get Brawn caught up with his sister than everything would be better. My kids (my boys) will be devastated, but from what I am reading, there is no good outcome. Cleft Palate goes hand and hand with heart defeat as well as pneumonia. I just see it continuing to be one thing after another. Please someone that has experience chime in, cause I am really leaning on just putting my little guy down.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/cleftpalate.html

Last edited:

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I'm so sorry. I've never dealt with this other than on a deformed kid. I don't really have any advice either. Maybe try and find some old threads I'm sure there are some on here. Maybe read them while waiting on a response from someone who has dealt with it.

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I understand. We have made the decision to put him down this afternoon. I looked up in there in the sunlight and I can see into his nose cavity really well. Honestly, I have kept him alive and put a belly on him, but he has gotta heavier but not growing and flureshing like he should. When you google”why would you put down a goat kid” this pulls up along with them being born with no anus.

Dotti was pregnant when we got her and it said it could be heritary, selenium defiency, or eating poisonous plants, medications, ect.

He would not have a normal life and would continuously battle pneumonia. The gap gets larger as they grow, it would be different if I could get him past this and it actual closed. But he is a little fighter and will always be with me, as bad as this is, I know it is the right thing to do.

StarSpangledNubians

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
That's a good decision. I have heard of people keeping them alive but it can be very difficult and expensive. And in the long run, they might end up suffering. It's a hard thing to do, but it the right thing. So sorry you have just had one problem after another. Learn from it and next time you will be more prepared.

Louannx

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I am so sorry for you , you did the very best that you could do :hugs.....having goats is a joy...please don't give up ........you had a rare situation and have done a excellent job. .....:love you are a great goat mom and we all feel your sadness.:hugs
Thank you for your words of encouragement!!! It is very sad and heartbreaking, I delivered my little guy. I am so relived to actually know what is going on. I have giving Brawn all kinds of treatments, supplements, vitamins and minerals thinking it could be worms or deficiency. Again, this is where inexperience comes into play. I have looked at his teeth and looked down his mouth but without knowledge, I didnt know what I was looking for. I did read about nursing issues and tongue tied but nothing fit, till I started investigating his bite and cleft palate kept coming up. I thought, no way he has that, and here we are.

He is such a sweet little guy, I apologized to him for not catching this earlier and putting him through all this.

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
We all have to start at some point of learning, you did a fine job. Now next time when a doeling won't nurse, i bet you will check that kid from head to toe. I haven't had a kid with a cleft palate, but a puppy in a litter i had to put down. And I have had to put goats down also, its always sad, but it is the kindest thing you could of done for Brawn :hugs

Latest posts