BackYardCows.com Forum Ideas, Feedback, Suggestions

ncgnance

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Okay, things here have slowed down a bit so I was finally able to go throught BYC's Index. Here is what I would start with for BYCow's.

Main
Frequently Asked Questions
BYCows Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements
Raising Baby Calves
Young stock
Mature Cows
Fencing
Feeding Time
Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures
Milking
Everything Else Cows
Me, My Cows, My Family
Where am I? Where are you!
Games, Jokes, and Fun!

Misc.
Other Pets & Livestock
Milk, beef, & Other Favorite Recipes
Hey, miss kitty, how about Training Livestock. Its pretty important to be able to handle a 1000 lb. steer, as I found out last Sunday. T-bone decided to step thru the fence and eat soybeans next door. It was a little too late to train him to lead on a halter at that point. Took three of us to herd him back into the pasture. I also fixed the defective fence, but that's another story.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
ncgnance said:
Farmer Kitty said:
Okay, things here have slowed down a bit so I was finally able to go throught BYC's Index. Here is what I would start with for BYCow's.

Main
Frequently Asked Questions
BYCows Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements
Raising Baby Calves
Young stock
Mature Cows
Fencing
Feeding Time
Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries and Cures
Milking
Everything Else Cows
Me, My Cows, My Family
Where am I? Where are you!
Games, Jokes, and Fun!

Misc.
Other Pets & Livestock
Milk, beef, & Other Favorite Recipes
Hey, miss kitty, how about Training Livestock. Its pretty important to be able to handle a 1000 lb. steer, as I found out last Sunday. T-bone decided to step thru the fence and eat soybeans next door. It was a little too late to train him to lead on a halter at that point. Took three of us to herd him back into the pasture. I also fixed the defective fence, but that's another story.
Yeah, Training for those wanting to show would be good.

ncgnance

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I was thinking more of just being able to control them. These 2 steers are big pets right now, but eventually I'm going to have to load them up to take them to the "fair," if you know what I mean. That's going to be a real challenge for us. My dexters are trained to lead, and that is so much easier...

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
ncgnance said:
I was thinking more of just being able to control them. These 2 steers are big pets right now, but eventually I'm going to have to load them up to take them to the "fair," if you know what I mean. That's going to be a real challenge for us. My dexters are trained to lead, and that is so much easier...
Good luck!!!! If they are big pets then put a halter on them and work with them. If they are to big for you to manuver around tie them on behind a tractor or truck and slowly walk them.

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Great suggestions everyone!

I was thinking of just going with what works very well at BYC and making it work here, then I noticed you're all on the same page. I added in a few different categories and mixed things up.

Forums are living things and we'll make changes (merge / split sections) when needed. For the most part, let's see how these play out and go from there.

Still keep the ideas and suggestions coming!

Nifty

Herd Master
Administrator
Reaction score
Farmer Kitty said:
Nifty-How about setting up a breed page. I just checked out the website for the breeding company we use and I could get pics from there (if it doesn't present a legal problem).

If a good idea how do I set it up? As one of "My Page" pages or as a new thread?

Edited because I can't spell today.
Yes, using the "My Page" tool would be a great idea... but I don't know if it is working just yet. :/

On my todo list for sure, but until then go ahead and start a thread in the new breeds section.

Thanks!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'll work on it as time allows then! Acutally have quite a few pics uploaded into my photobucket account already!

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Index page is looking great!
36_33_181.gif