1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Unstable sheep
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

BackYardHerds New Home! Conversion Info FAQ's

Discussion in 'BackYardHerds - News, Information & Feedback' started by Nifty, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Nov 7, 2013
    Nifty

Nifty True BYH Addict Administrator

Welcome to the new home of BackYardHerds.com!

Long story short: After 2 years of forum software research, 6 months of software evaluation, & 1 month of neck-deep conversion testing, we're on a brand new platform!!

NOTE: If you have questions, problems, or notice a bug PLEASE start a new topic in this section with a VERY detailed subject/title and add as much information about your question / issue as possible! This will help us make sure that questions are all answered vs. all of them being jumbled into one thread!

Here are some of the things you'll want to check out:
    1. New Phrasing: On this system, "Posts" are referred to as "Messages". "Private Messages" are now called "Conversations". It takes a bit to get used to, but it makes sense with the way this software operates.
    2. Likes: You can "Like" other people's posts! They get notified when you like what they posted and it adds to their reputation.
    3. Trophies: A trophy is a goal for things like # of posts, an anniversary as a member, number of likes, etc. You can see a list of them here: http://www.backyardherds.com/help/trophies
    4. @mention: This will alert them that they were mentioned in a post. For example: @elevan , @Southern by choice , etc.
    5. Watch Forums: You can subscribe to or "watch" forum sections. Example: You may want to subscribe to the Diseases & Injuries - Goats section to get notified of new topics are posted.
    6. Draft Auto-Save: While you type, your post is automatically saved every 60 seconds. If you accidentally close the tab / window or even turn off your PC, when you come back to the thread your draft copy will be there waiting for you!
    7. Mobile Browsing: The skin / theme on this new site is "responsive"... which means no matter what size screen you're on, the page will automatically format itself to fit nicely on your device! Go open BYH on your phone or tablet and give it a try!
    8. Image Uploads: Fantastically easier and fun ways to load pics into your posts. See more details in this thread.
    9. More & Bigger Images: You can now upload bigger pictures and as many as you want! No more image upload limitations!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2014
  2. Nov 7, 2013
    Nifty

FAQ's:
    1. What was converted / kept from the old site? All usernames, passwords, private messages, threads, and posts were converted over! Articles & pictures still remain on the old system, see below for more details.
    2. Where are all my old pictures / images? See more info here: http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/images-pictures-on-old-system-how-to-access.27263/
    3. What about all my articles? See more info here: http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/member-pages-articles-since-conversion.27264/
    4. How do I login / reset my password? See here: http://www.backyardherds.com/threads/trouble-loggin-in-forgot-password.27265/

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  3. Nov 7, 2013
    Nifty

Finding New Posts:
    Two ways to find new posts, first is at the very top menu "Recent Posts"
    upload_2013-11-7_22-25-54.png

Second is the Recent tab to the right of every page:
    upload_2013-11-7_22-26-31.png

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  4. Nov 8, 2013
    Nifty

How to edit your user preferences:
    1. Hover over your username at the top-right of the page
    2. Click one of the options, for example: "Preferences"
    upload_2013-11-7_22-30-34.png

lynordb likes this.
  5. Nov 8, 2013
    Nifty

How to link to a specific quote a post or link to a specific post:

The post number to the bottom right of each post will let you link to that specific post.
    The "Reply" link will quote the post in your reply.

upload_2013-11-8_10-27-43.png

6. Nov 12, 2013
    Nifty

7. Nov 13, 2013
    Nifty

8. Nov 18, 2013
    WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Loving the herd life

The brown is really hard on my eyes and the ads take a bit longer to load, but other than that I like it!

9. Dec 3, 2013
    Southern by choice

Southern by choice Herd Master

What is the "update your status" box for? Also what are the mini conversations under that for? How do I delete them?

(This page comes up when I click on my name)

ok figured out how to delete... hit delete :hide

10. Dec 3, 2013
    elevan

elevan Critter Addict ♥ Moderator Moderator

It's kind of like a status update on Facebook...

Southern by choice likes this.