Bad Banding?

Amanda Jane

Just born
Reaction score
Hi. I am new to the goat world but so far loveit! I do have a concern. My goats were banded about 4 weeks ago. Their testicleshave not fallen off yet. Today I decided to doa little research about it and now I am a littlenervous. My husband held each one so Icould check them out and sure enough allaround the top of the band is flesh. I sprayedBlu-Kote on them making sure to get it onthere good but from what I have read this is not normal. Has anyone else experiencedthis? What is your advice please?

Amanda Jane

Just born
Reaction score
It looks like its broken through the skin but that's it. This is an awkward description but like a roasted burnt marshmallow is all hard on the outside and if you were to pull the outside down a little there's the inside. Well, you have the sac that is all hard to touch with the band on top and the skin has pulled away from the flesh. It makes me feel like I could pull the sac skin off and the onside would still be there. I would never do that of course.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We have a spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide. We saturate with the spray every other day. When you see bubbles foaming, that is dying bacteria. We have a baby buck banded right now. We lucked out this year and had 5 does and only one buck.
:thumbsup

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
It looks like its broken through the skin but that's it. This is an awkward description but like a roasted burnt marshmallow is all hard on the outside and if you were to pull the outside down a little there's the inside. Well, you have the sac that is all hard to touch with the band on top and the skin has pulled away from the flesh. It makes me feel like I could pull the sac skin off and the onside would still be there. I would never do that of course.

That all sounds normal to me. If you're worried about infection or flies, keep spraying blue kote or permethrin every now and then. The dried up sack and the band will fall off eventually, then I sometimes come and spray the small open sore afterwards. 99% of the time we don't do anything and don't have any problems.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hi. I am new to the goat world but so far loveit! I do have a concern. My goats were banded about 4 weeks ago. Their testicleshave not fallen off yet. Today I decided to doa little research about it and now I am a littlenervous. My husband held each one so Icould check them out and sure enough allaround the top of the band is flesh. I sprayedBlu-Kote on them making sure to get it onthere good but from what I have read this is not normal. Has anyone else experiencedthis? What is your advice please?
Also... Soak the band in alcohol for a few minutes before use. It takes longer than 4 weeks to drop off as well. Patience grasshopper..

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Normal to have some raw flesh at the band
Blue-kote was the correct response
If they have shriveled up you did it correctly
The time can vary before they fall of

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, sounds normal.

As an aside, this year I decided to cut out the testicles instead of banding. It was a great choice. Actually pretty fast, and the kids recovered so much faster.