Bad Iceballs in horses feet

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
It’s starting to get pretty cold here and the horses all have really bad ice balls in their feet. Picking them out just doesn’t work, neither does hammering at them with a hoof pick. Once I get them out I’m going to try putting Vaseline on. Anyone have ideas for getting them out?

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Where are you located? General area? Please put it in your avatar so those of us with bad memories will have an idea of where you are.
I think that the warm water might be the best best to getting them out first.? What about spraying the feet with a non-stick cooking spray? Might be easier than vaseline but vaseline would be cheaper I am sure...

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Warm water?
Where are you located? General area? Please put it in your avatar so those of us with bad memories will have an idea of where you are.
I think that the warm water might be the best best to getting them out first.? What about spraying the feet with a non-stick cooking spray? Might be easier than vaseline but vaseline would be cheaper I am sure...
I’m in northern Alberta.
It warmed up a little today so I was able to chip them out. I did think of warm water but I think the snow would stick to their wet feet and freeze.

Vienna_201

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
When I was living in AB, I found PAM and Vaseline didn't have any notable lasting result. Bubble and rim snow pads had minimal impact as well. I'd give anything a try, but AB conditions are often different than those in the States (other than Alaska I'd guess?), so a lot of the same tricks don't seem to work as well.

I had bought a hoof "pick" that more closely resembled an crude ice pick to break up packed ice so horses didn't go skating across the barn every time I brought them in. I believe I'd bought it (years ago) from G&E in Edmonton, but you might have to do some looking. I can't find the product online. And, of course, it'll only to keep feet clear (for the barn, arena, trailer) until they're back walking outside.

Winter hit with a vengeance this year, hey? Via my parents, it seems like everyone was walking around in T shirts one minute, then all of a sudden it snapped to darn near -20C. 🥶

ButtonHerder

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
When I was living in AB, I found PAM and Vaseline didn't have any notable lasting result. Bubble and rim snow pads had minimal impact as well. I'd give anything a try, but AB conditions are often different than those in the States (other than Alaska I'd guess?), so a lot of the same tricks don't seem to work as well.
Yeah, that happens with a lot of horse related things, stuff that works for most people don't really work in Alberta.
I had bought a hoof "pick" that more closely resembled an crude ice pick to break up packed ice so horses didn't go skating across the barn every time I brought them in. I believe I'd bought it (years ago) from G&E in Edmonton, but you might have to do some looking. I can't find the product online. And, of course, it'll only to keep feet clear (for the barn, arena, trailer) until they're back walking outside.
I'll try and find something like that, thanks.
Winter hit with a vengeance this year, hey? Via my parents, it seems like everyone was walking around in T shirts one minute, then all of a sudden it snapped to darn near -20C. 🥶
Yup, pretty much.

Latest posts