bad news about me

ALANB

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
:) ALICIA Bees are out in force collecting food for winter , you will not be bothered in cold weather , I'm guessing at the date , forgot to look !! Keep the horse . "your Doctor is wrong" . Best therapy you could have and YES You will ride again because you have the desire . Just ride early in the AM away from the Bee's , Enjoy your country Home and If you find the nest , have them killed or removed !!! Give me a HEY' ... bebop@i10net.com . respectfully , ALANb. P/S they sound like "killer Bees" very aggresive !!! You may find a nest in the pasture grass (not unusual) and the horse stepped on them ....... AB.

jas

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Wow.. I just found this thread. I soooo sorry. I hope every thing work out for you.

laughingllama75

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Thanks for thinking of me, but I still have not gotten back on. I still have 3 herniated disks that will need surgery eventually...that in itself might prevent me from getting on but the Neurosurgeon said no more head injuries (and she keeps telling me!). I still have some effects from the fall, even a year later. but, I do still work with horses, just not on them. yes, i miss it immensley....would I get back on? yep. but, I am trying to do the right thing for myself and my family...still paying the hospital bills from the last one. LOL.

w c

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I don't think it's right for people to say so emphatically that the person WILL ride again IF THEY WANT TO and all that. There are things that people need to stop riding for. Not everything can always be solved by 'wanting to'.

IF you wind up not being able to ride, I hope you put your knowledge of horses to work. You might consider writing a book about your ranch riding experiences. You could coach riding, help at a therapeutic riding center, or be a technical delegate at competitions. Since you ride Western, you might be interested in getting involved with reining competitions. They have technical delegates and judges too! Or you might be happy breeding the next generation of ranch, pleasure or show horses.

For some folks, it just may not be comfortable to be involved with horses if they cannot ride. Some people will just not be happy that way, looking on. For some there is no substitute for riding and it pains them to see others riding. They are better off getting into something else. There is a whole big world out there that we don't notice while riding! If you can't ride again and don't want to be involved, there are a great many things that need doing out in that big world!

Surgeons are not ALWAYS wrong about not riding. Herniated disks are nothing to mess with. When they occur in the neck they can cause immense pain, and even cut off feeling and control of the shoulders and arms, affect balance, hearing. Lumbar disks are quite the same, they can not only cause pain, but cause numbness and strength issues in the legs. Don't struggle to ride when it's not appropriate, just because someone (even yourself!) thinks you should!

You might want to do some investigation. It's good to find out WHY the surgeon feels it's not a good idea to ride. What's in there that he's bothered by. It's good to know these thing.

As far as disks, new surgeries and improved surgeries come along all the time and the trend is toward smaller and smaller,less and less invasive surgeries. If you're in pain, there may be things that can help that. May not return you to riding considering the brain injury issue but might make you comfortable. Getting weight off the body can help, so can lifestyle changes and posture training. Physical therapy can do a great deal to improve disk problems. No, I did NOT believe that til it happened to me!

Latest posts