bad reaction to Ivomec

craftbug1021

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
gave my 8 week old fainting goat her first shots last night. It was HORRIBLE she took the CDT okay and just flinched some, then we gave her 1cc of Ivomec subQ and oh my gosh, poor thing absolutely wigged out! She was flayling and screaming my husband was holding her, then he gave her to me. She all but knocked me out with swinging her head. Put her on the ground she ran in circles screaming and flayling her head. Then dropped to her knees and crawled across the ground before she finally settled down. Today she wont eat her ba, she took one drink choked and has refused it since. I called the vet first thing this morning when she wouldnt take her ba. He said to just watch her for the next 12 hours she probably just feels bad. Told me to take her temp if it was over 104 call him back.
Her temp was 103.5 now she really wont look at me. Poor thing, then after talking to several other people I find out that you should never give that in a shot because it stings so bad.
Am watching her close today, she is just now nibbling on some leaves but definately not acting herself.
Just hope this will help others from making the same mistake.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
Sometimes it has to be given in a shot - for mites and lungworm it works better than orally. I only give it orally when I'm treating for stomach worms.

I dose at 1cc per 100# when injecting, and yes, they'll kick and stomp a bit, but I've never had one act 'off' the next day from ivermectin shots.
Perhaps you hit a nerve or sensitive area.

craftbug1021

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I had gotten the dose from the person she came from. She is maybe 20 pounds and I gave her 1cc. I have been told that was too much, there is so much info out there that its hard to know what to do. I am definitely not giving her a shot anymore. I am researching (which is what I should have done before going on blind faith) and looking into herbal wormers from here on out.
I also read where if she was with chickens (mine free range, and she sleeps in the coop but separated from them) that she wouldn't have as much trouble with worms, then someone else said there was more chance with chickens:/ its so hard being a good goat Maaa

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We noticed they did better if you give the injection in the arm pit area, instead of the neck.

We did our entire herd three times this winter for mites. 3 cc per 100 lbs.

craftbug1021

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Am planning on her booster of CDT in the armpit for sure. She is finally eating but seems like every bite she takes on the left side she shakes her head real bad and spits it out. She is eating her fave leaves on the right side but still no bottle. I am thinking she bit the inside of her mouth when she was throwing her fit. I tried to open her mouth to look but that's a no go I cant get it open enough to see. And needless to say she is not happy with me after the shot yesterday and the thermometer this morning. :( she is not a happy camper. But at least she is eating. She drank a little water, but squatted to pee and only a few drops came out....... Really am afraid that i am over reacting but gonna just keep a close watch today.

WhiteMountainsRanch

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I used Ivomec injectable on my whole herd last month and I never had more than some stomping and a little bit of crying, as soon as I let them go they were perfectly fine and went right back to eating and drinking. They definitely didn't get a fever or go off their feed.

Did you do it in the armpit area? Did you be sure to get it just under the skin? Maybe as an above poster mentioned, you might have got it too deep or hit a nerve or something?

Teeah3612

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
You might have a bit of a drama queen on your hands:)

Seriously, Peanut screams like you are killing him when you give him a shot. Mr. Buttons takes it like a man. I would just watch her. She might be a little sore.

elevan

Critter Addict ♥
Reaction score
Injecting it does make them be dramatic at times.

Give her probiotics (or live culture yogurt) via drench if you have to.

I would also give her a shot of banamine and vitamin B personally.

Goatherd

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If an animal reacts to an injection, whatever it may be, they do so because it's painful and is causing discomfort. Being dramatic or causing drama is not a characteristic that is indigenous to animals.