bad reaction to Ivomec

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I had gotten the dose from the person she came from. She is maybe 20 pounds and I gave her 1cc. I have been told that was too much, there is so much info out there that its hard to know what to do. I am definitely not giving her a shot anymore. I am researching (which is what I should have done before going on blind faith) and looking into herbal wormers from here on out.
I also read where if she was with chickens (mine free range, and she sleeps in the coop but separated from them) that she wouldn't have as much trouble with worms, then someone else said there was more chance with chickens:/ its so hard being a good goat Maaa
Our vet uses CYDECTIN. She says double the dose recommended for sheep when administered to goats.
IMG_20170627_115041.jpg

It is an oral drench and super easy to administer.
She has helped us out so much in our time of need and We trust her recommendations.
Always check to see if your goat is anemic first. Pull down her bottom eyelid. It should be pink. If it is white she is anemic and prob needs to be wormed. Only worm if signs are present she told us. Alway monitor her poo before worming as well. It should be little berries not clumped or mush. Worming is a treatment not a vax. CDT is a vax.
:thumbsup

Last edited:

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Our vet uses CYDECTIN. She says double the dose recommended for sheep when administered to goats.
View attachment 37405
It is an oral drench and super easy to administer.
She has helped us out so much in our time of need and We trust her recommendations.
Always check to see if your goat is anemic first. Pull down her bottom eyelid. It should be pink. If it is white she is anemic and prob needs to be wormed. Only worm if signs are present she told us. Alway monitor her poo before worming as well. It should be little berries not clumped or mush. Worming is a treatment not a vax. CDT is a vax.
:thumbsup
The original post was from 5 yrs ago. :)

Anemia does not always mean worms are present. Other parasites, such as coccidia, can cause anemia and dewormers such as Cydectin will not work. When eyelids are white, it is an emergency and some prefer to treat with weaker dewormers first so worms are not released too fast causing more blood loss and sometimes death.

Farmer Connie

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The original post was from 5 yrs ago. :)

Anemia does not always mean worms are present. Other parasites, such as coccidia, can cause anemia and dewormers such as Cydectin will not work. When eyelids are white, it is an emergency and some prefer to treat with weaker dewormers first so worms are not released too fast causing more blood loss and sometimes death.

Anemia is a condition that develops when blood lacks enough healthy red blood cells or hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a main part of red blood cells and binds oxygen. If your goat has too few or abnormal red blood cells, or your goats hemoglobin is abnormal or low, the cells in your goats body will not get enough oxygen NOT BLOOD LOSS:) Fatal yes.
Pulling down your goats eyelids should be done regularly, not just during the event of an emergency.
Our particular treatment was SULMET for coccidia /CYDECTIN for worms/NUTRI-DRENCH for weight gain. Stool sample conformation as well.
We have a Professional Veterinarian come to our farm and diagnose and care for our flock as preventive measures. She has over 30 yrs experience with treating goats.

My Veterinarian only uses Ivermectin on my scores of pigs.
She uses Fenbendazole on our population of poultry.
As far as me replying to a 5 y/o thread is concerned, the threads are still posted as a reference to educate future members with options and experiences so others can learn from other member's successfulness or mistakes.

:)

Last edited:

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Anemia is a condition that develops when blood lacks enough healthy red blood cells or hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is a main part of red blood cells and binds oxygen. If your goat has too few or abnormal red blood cells, or your goats hemoglobin is abnormal or low, the cells in your goats body will not get enough oxygen NOT BLOOD LOSS:)
What I was referring to as blood loss is when worms sucking on the stomach die and detach too quickly causing blood loss where they detached.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
A lot of different vets recommend different things
Our vet has bred goats himself for 25 years
The fact is Ivermectin and Cydectin are very similar compounds
Ivermectin injectable for cattle and pigs is a viable option given Orally
We use Safeguard for some of ours Ivermectin for some and Cydectin for others
And coccidia can also cause anemia
After using different things we have found Toltrazuril is the best for coccidia

nstone630

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
We will use Ivermectin drench and then alternate to safe guard, we've also used the ivermec paste.

Has anyone ever used the Ivermectin sheep drench, and double dosed? Meaning 2 days in a row? :hu If worm count is very high.