Bad Scurs :(

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We had our doe kids disbudded by the vet but they've ended up growing spurs. At first they would just knock off after a certain length so we didn't keep too close of a watch on them. I've just been out to the run for their feeding and upon closer inspection this time, I see that they are growing around and into one of the does' heads. It hasn't broken through the skin that I can see, but it's only a matter of time. It was hard to notice this was happening as all I can see is a small bump in her hair, giving the illusion that it's not too big.

They are quite soft and move around easily, and she seems to be bothered if I touch them too much.

So what do we do, besides call the vet? What will he do for them? I've read to reburn the area, and when they were done the first time he sedated them and gave them a local pain killer. I'm sure it would be the same if he did it again. The does are about eight months old and I am not ready to have a lifetime of this :/

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Here's the one with the horn growing into the side of her head:

6544_img_2189.jpg

The picture's not that great because she moves around so much and there's a lot of hair in the way. It's under half an inch wide, not even an inch long and it's kind of flat, not rounded. The thicker part on the left is the end of it. I think it would be very difficult to trim.

Here's my other doeling:

6544_img_2191.jpg

Hers is growing forward, but still isn't very long, wide or strong.

Any thoughts on what we should do?

Catahoula

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If they are soft, I think the Vet can cut them off and cauterize the area again. Or leave it...they will probably knock them off again

lasergrl

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If they were mine I would pull them off and reburn them where they scurred. Or just keep pulling them off when they get too long. If they wiggle, they probably wont actually grow back into the head. The problem is the scurs that dont wiggle. Eventually they get pulled off naturally anyways, then regrow, then fall off ect ect.

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
These ones definitely wiggle. Won't it hurt to pull them off? I'd have to get the vet in to disbud them again, but that's okay.

Pearce Pastures

Barn Babe
Reaction score
My buck's were wiggly and when I tried to trim them, they just popped off, like a cap. He didn't budge or seem to hurt and I image it was better than breaking it when he bickers with the other boys.

KidMandy

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I went out this morning and the one I was concerned about is gone. So I guess they'll just keep falling off on their own. I may still call the vet to get his opinion about doing them again.

Thanks for all the info!! This board is great.

Lamancha Acres Dairy Goat

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Our bucks "scur" had curled and started to dig into his head that we got a saw wire. It worked really well we took off the part that had no blood with it and then we used castrator bands for the rest. The castrator bands with cut off the blood curculation and cleanly takes off the scur after a few weeks. Its worked 4 times for us.