Baking soda question / discussion

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I see a lot of times when baking soda is offered as a suggestion when discussing bottle feeding kids.

Now, I am all about putting out baking soda when I put the does on fresh green grass in spring, and I've used it a few times when goats have been sick / down and I wanted to avoid bloat...

But I can honestly say I've never given it to kids as a habit / general rule.

Wondering what the thought process is here...Avoiding floppy kid syndrome?

(If this question in any way sounds snotty, it's truly not intended to...I'm genuinely curious.)

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
My understanding is that baking soda should be used as a base any time acidosis is a concern. The earlier the pH imbalance is addressed the more likely you are to be successful, because it's a mild base. Once acidosis is systemic (FKS) baking soda may not be enough.

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
IMO it's a bad idea. By force feeding bicarb daily, you can interfere with the baseline acidity of the stomachs...which can cause problems when you 'forget' the bicarb or when you actually NEED it, it won't be enough.

But then I'm also very much against offering it free choice to adults, for the same reasons.

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:
IMO it's a bad idea. By force feeding bicarb daily, you can interfere with the baseline acidity of the stomachs...which can cause problems when you 'forget' the bicarb or when you actually NEED it, it won't be enough.

But then I'm also very much against offering it free choice to adults, for the same reasons.
:thumbsup

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
helmstead said:

Right. It's something that should be used as a treatment for an actual problem. We always keep it on hand in the medicine chest, but I've needed it just a handful of times. A goat's body should be able to maintain rumen pH balance on it's own without the aid of free choice (or frequently used) baking soda. If your goat's rumen is upset so frequently that free choice baking soda seems like a good idea, then you might re-evaluate your feeding practices. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to grab it if I had a kid that was off and I suspected rumen upset. It's just been the rare occasion that it's been necessary to do so, knock on wood.

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I feel positive it has aided in helping a couple of my kids start up a sucking reflex.

I know you are around all the time for your kiddings, I find that on occasion, I will have a weak kid from kidding out in the field, maybe to cold of a night. I have to try to get the sucking reflex going again and jump start their stomach. I have tried several combinations, but I feel the thing that has worked the best for me, is the following:

Bo-Se shot
3 or 4 teaspoons corn syrup mixed with warm regular coffe. about one hour after this I offer mother's milk with more corn syrup and 1/2 teaspoon BAKING SODA. I try to get 15cc to 30cc of mixture in the kid, If kid is doing really well I may just try to get them nursing. Depends how flimsy they are. If kid has not nursed I wait 1 to 2 hours and and keep repeating until kid nurses well. After kid nurses I wait 3 to 4 hours.

Of course the strength of the kid can vary, so I adjust accordingly, But I always give atleast one dose of baking soda to a weak kid, the first time I offer milk, especially if they aren't standing for very long.

aggieterpkatie

The Shepherd
Reaction score
helmstead said:

I agree totally. I'm of the "less is more" school of thought.