baling hay

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
finally got the custom baler in to bale the hay.cut 40ac an it made 134 5 by 6 bales still have 20acs down thats ready to bale.hoping that will make 40 to 60 bales.have 20 bales carry over hay.an sold 50 bales for $32 a bale.selling 40acs standing hay that makes 80 to 100 bales.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
:gig DH took today off to bale hay too. Ours is going up in big round bales. Roughly 25-30 acres down right now-it's about to go up. It's two fields that are side-by-side and we have already taken 1200 small square bales off it. We have about 15 acres of hay left to make after these two fields! Then it's on to chopping oats. :(

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
does your DH have an off farm job.how much hay do yall need to make it through the winter.we will have to find a new custom baler next year.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
does your DH have an off farm job.how much hay do yall need to make it through the winter.we will have to find a new custom baler next year.
My DH works off the farm at the local feed mill. We fill a 14x50 silo, put 1600 or so small square bales in the main barn, 4-6 loads of small square bales in the heifer barn, the rest of first cut goes into big round bales (amount needed varies on the corn silage we get). The oats will go into a 12x50 silo. If there is any room left in the silo then the soybean/sorgum mix (14 acres)will top it off. The rest of the soybean/sorgum mix will have to go on a pile as will the corn silage(only 13 acres this year-usually closer to 35). Then second cut hay goes into the other part of the mow.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
sounds like yall stay real busy with putting up hay an silage.an him working off the farm at the feed mill.who does most of the milking you/him or both togather.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
wynedot55 said:
sounds like yall stay real busy with putting up hay an silage.an him working off the farm at the feed mill.who does most of the milking you/him or both togather.
Usually Dh does the morning milking while I do the chores and the afternoon chores and milking are mine and our oldest DD, who feeds the calves and helps get the cows in. DH has to be to work early on Wed. morns. so I hurry up with chores to take over milking.

Chris aka Barney

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I was just wondering what the prices of small bales of local hay going for in your area? We have our own, but folks out here are paying $5 a bale (pickup in field)! Last year hay was going for $3.00 - $3.50

The news said that people will be abandoning their cattle, horses etc. Prices are crazy. I feel for the folks who have to buy hay and can't afford the jacked up prices.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
good sq bale here in texas sells for $5 to $7 a bale.now you can find hay cheaper when they are baling.an you can find hay for $3 to $5 a bale.

Farmer Kitty

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Chris aka Barney said:
The news said that people will be abandoning their cattle, horses etc. Prices are crazy. I feel for the folks who have to buy hay and can't afford the jacked up prices.
No reason to abandon cattle. You can sell them on slaughter market or butcher them for yourself.

Horses are another story. The only slaughter plant was shutdown and won't be reopening. Before, anyone jumps on me about eating horses, what do you propose to do with all the unwanted horses? This country frowns on eating horses because we see them as pets. Other countries see them as livestock and treat them the same as we do cows. There are some areas in the world that treat cows with high regard and wouldn't butcher them, I'm sure.

wynedot55

Old Bull
Reaction score
they be shipping a bunch of horses to old mexico.because their are horse slaughter houses there.an shipping the meat to the overseas markets.