Bananas For Supper!

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hey y'all, me...

Again...

What's this, the... number 20something MiniGoatsRule threat?

ANYWAY, I heard banana is great for horses, and I wanted to mix a little bit of banana with my horse's grain every day.

But, about 3 or 4 weeks ago, he got colic real badly. He's doing good now, I'd say he's recovered.

But I don't know if I should wait longer before giving him banana, or if he's good now.

What do y'all think?

thistlebloom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have not heard that about bananas and horses...🤔 What in particular is the benefit? And will your horse even eat them?

Syringa used to like them. She would eat a whole one. She will only take one bite now, and then eats it while tossing her head like she's considering rejecting it. She's getting more particular these days.
My goats loved them and would eat the peel and all.
As to your horses colic, was it an impaction colic, or caused by something he ate? Just curious. If it was three weeks ago he should be fine with it, just give him a little to start with of course, see how he handles it.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I assume you read something like this article? (click the word "this")

The reasons they are giving are:
  • Rich in iron to help stimulate production of hemoglobin. Good to know if you tend toward anemia.
  • Rich in potassium to address high blood pressure issues, stress in the body.
  • High in fiber and the three sugars, sucrose, fructose and glucose, making it a good energy food source, natural laxative and an aid in keeping blood sugar levels up.
  • Rich in B Vitamins to soothe the nervous system.
  • Soothing to the stomach to ease ulcers, stomach upsets, nausea and morning sickness.
None of those reasons really seem like something I would really worry about unless you have a very specific problem you are trying to treat. I wouldn't feed it at part of the feed, it seems like more trouble for not much return and a decent amount of added sugar which isn't a good thing.

I would maybe feed them as a treat but not part of a daily meal.

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have not heard that about bananas and horses...🤔 What in particular is the benefit? And will your horse even eat them?

Syringa used to like them. She would eat a whole one. She will only take one bite now, and then eats it while tossing her head like she's considering rejecting it. She's getting more particular these days.
My goats loved them and would eat the peel and all.
As to your horses colic, was it an impaction colic, or caused by something he ate? Just curious. If it was three weeks ago he should be fine with it, just give him a little to start with of course, see how he handles it.

He'll eat them.

He eats about anything (he's just not a huge grain fan, that's part of why I wanted to add some banana), his favorite is Flamin' Hot Lime Cheetoh's...

Sorry, @Kusanar beat me to benefits of banana.

I assume you read something like this article? (click the word "this")

The reasons they are giving are:
  • Rich in iron to help stimulate production of hemoglobin. Good to know if you tend toward anemia.
  • Rich in potassium to address high blood pressure issues, stress in the body.
  • High in fiber and the three sugars, sucrose, fructose and glucose, making it a good energy food source, natural laxative and an aid in keeping blood sugar levels up.
  • Rich in B Vitamins to soothe the nervous system.
  • Soothing to the stomach to ease ulcers, stomach upsets, nausea and morning sickness.
None of those reasons really seem like something I would really worry about unless you have a very specific problem you are trying to treat. I wouldn't feed it at part of the feed, it seems like more trouble for not much return and a decent amount of added sugar which isn't a good thing.

I would maybe feed them as a treat but not part of a daily meal.

Thanks! That's the EXACT article I read!

Is there anything else I could add to his grain for flavor, supplement, or both (preferably)?

Casper just isn't the biggest grain fan all the time, and I want to give him a little something extra to say that I appreciate him.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
He'll eat them.

He eats about anything (he's just not a huge grain fan, that's part of why I wanted to add some banana), his favorite is Flamin' Hot Lime Cheetoh's...

Sorry, @Kusanar beat me to benefits of banana.

Thanks! That's the EXACT article I read!

Is there anything else I could add to his grain for flavor, supplement, or both (preferably)?

Casper just isn't the biggest grain fan all the time, and I want to give him a little something extra to say that I appreciate him.
I would cut up carrots, apples, toss the occasional bananna in, I just wouldn't do it as an every day part of his meal, more of a nice surprise. Think of it this way, if you have chocolate cake for desert every night you will love it for a week, maybe a month, then you will start thinking "cake, again?" when it shows up. Same with him, he may like the occasional bananna but if you give it to him daily in his grain it will no longer be a special treat.

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I would cut up carrots, apples, toss the occasional bananna in, I just wouldn't do it as an every day part of his meal, more of a nice surprise. Think of it this way, if you have chocolate cake for desert every night you will love it for a week, maybe a month, then you will start thinking "cake, again?" when it shows up. Same with him, he may like the occasional bananna but if you give it to him daily in his grain it will no longer be a special treat.
Good point. Thanks!

So, kind of an off topic question, but I figured since we were talking about stuff to put in Casper a grain, are there any hair growth supplements for horses? When Casper got colic a month back, the vet shaved a spot on his side so he could get some IV fluids in there, and it still hasn't grown back. Not good, what with it being mid December in Southwestern Montana.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Good point. Thanks!

So, kind of an off topic question, but I figured since we were talking about stuff to put in Casper a grain, are there any hair growth supplements for horses? When Casper got colic a month back, the vet shaved a spot on his side so he could get some IV fluids in there, and it still hasn't grown back. Not good, what with it being mid December in Southwestern Montana.
Horses only really grow body hair 2 times a year, when they are getting their summer coat in and when they are getting their winter coat in. It grows SUPER slowly other than that.

You could try adding biotin to his feed, but likely it won't speed it up much.

I would say one smallish shaved spot would be ok

MiniGoatsRule

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Horses only really grow body hair 2 times a year, when they are getting their summer coat in and when they are getting their winter coat in. It grows SUPER slowly other than that.

You could try adding biotin to his feed, but likely it won't speed it up much.

I would say one smallish shaved spot would be ok
Okay, thanks a billion, @Kusanar!