Banding bucks and herd chaos

TXMissy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Hello ya'll!

I took Huckleberry my 4 1/2 week buck to get banded today and get is CDT shot. When I brought him home you could tell he is in distress. He cries. I heard banding was no big deal and not painful. Well, someone explain that to Huck because he is obviously uncomfortable and cries often. Typically, he is quiet. Anyway, my concern is my wether. He immediately started head butting Huck! He wont leave him alone. I am assuming it's because Huck is crying out. I put Buttercup (mom) and Huck in the goat pen and shut them in. And left Peanut (the jerk uncle) out to roam the backyard. They are all freaking out. I am not sure what to do. Has anyone else encountered this behavior? I want Huck to be safe and not get his butt kicked after being banded. I am hoping everyone calms down and I can put them back together. Any thoughts?

Update: after everyone was done acting crazy I let them out. So far so good. Huck finally stopped crying.

Last edited:

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
The only time I had a banded boy... yes, he cried on occasion.... it clearly doesn't feel good.

Mine cried off and on... and just looked uncomfortable until it was finally done ... it has to dry up, then fall off... and where it falls off can be a bit of a sore...

When that is healed... then everything will be fine again.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've band a lot of them! Yes, it's sore for them and movement agitated that. However. It's normally a 24-48 hr thing, then it's numb and not an issue. The wether, being a jerk....he smells and senses the distress and visit to probably the vet. It will stop. Separation is fine for a few days. After that, huckleberry can get away.

Last edited: