banding horns

annanicole18

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
my doelings horns are now about an inch long and i have been told that i can band them since she is too far along to disbud. i do not know anyone in the area with goats and since she is my first goat i do not know how to band the horns. how long do the horns need to be before i can band? i googled banding and was shocked to see some photos of people cutting the base of the horns then putting the band on. is that really how you do it or do you just put the band on? i was told you use a Elastrator but how far down do you have to get it? how long will it take for the horns to come off? is it less painful to band than disbud? i have a pygmy doeling that will need to be done also . are their different kinds of elastrators? caprine supply has one that looks simple to use.
thanks for any help i'm just full of questions since these are my first goats

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
*cups hands and yells* Kate, where are you? Anna needs your help! :D

helmstead

Goat Mistress
Reaction score
Because I do not feel this is something I should post a "how-to" about on a public forum...Anna, please email me and I'll help however I can. I do have a how to posted on a private forum, and can direct you to that group or help you via email.

Farrier!

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Do you really need to remove her horns?

I see nothing wrong with debudding but anything attempted after that does not always work well. Spurs are horrible to deal with.

We have a mix of horns and no horns.

annanicole18

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
yes i do need to remove her horns since she is going to be my dairy goat as a safety precaution for my dogs and for my neice and nephew who live next door. i would leave them if i could but too much risk involved

Farrier!

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I am just never sure where the idea of horns=bad comes from... :(
If you have never had goats then how can you conclude they are that bad? Are the youngsters just toddlers?
If they are still pretty little horns or no horns the goats will try to dominate them and knock them down.... :(

At the age your goats are you might want a vet who had experience dehorning do them. There is a major blood vessel in there now. Even with banding the horn that vessel will bleed. A vet can cut and cauterize right away.

Also if the children are old enough they need to be around the goats now to be sure they stay above them in the pecking order.

The only goats we have had problems with with children are some we bought full grown. The ones we raised were drug around and enjoyed by little people and never used their horns on a child.

bheila

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
It's all personal preference. Let us know how it goes :)

haviris

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
There was a pretty good site I knew of at one time, but can't find it now, here is another though you can look at.

http://www.barnonemeatgoats.com/bandinghorns.html

When I did it I didn't make the incision, although I think it's generally recommended, it helps hold the band in place. I also didn't use anything to deaden it.

I have done it one goats 4 years and down (and none have gotten scurs, all my scurs are disbudding jobs). I shave the area, and you have to get the band below the base of the horn! You can feel it after you shave it and then after the band is on I wrap it in duck tape.

They will get tender, you don't want to touch them at all until they come off. If they come off when they are ready there is no bleeding, occationally they will knock one off early and it will bleed, so be prepared for that. With her's being small they should fall off fairly quickly compared to the larger ones.

Hope that helps!

Latest posts