Bantams?

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We hatched out some eggs a couple months ago, and ended up with two bantam calico cochins, one cockerel and one pullet. These birds are gorgeous and friendly, but I'm just not sure whether it's worth keeping them. The rest of our flock currently consists of 25 standard size birds. Some of those are cockerels who won't be with us much longer, but we do plan to try and keep a couple roos to hatch out our own replacement chickens.

I'm concerned that keeping a mixed-size flock is going to be detrimental over time if the bantam roos pass on their small egg genetics to our layers or if a bantam hen mates with a standard roo and becomes egg bound. How much of a real issue is this?

Also, I could keep the bantams in their own little flock away from the bigger birds, although I'm not sure I want to deal with the extra work that another coop will bring. On the other hand, perhaps we could market the bantam eggs as a bit of a novelty. Anyone here sell bantam eggs? How does that market compare with the market for full size chicken eggs?

Finally, barn cats. We have two cats who don't bother the full size chickens, but I wonder if they'll be more predatory toward the bantams. Anyone have experience with bantams and cats? How does it tend to work out?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm concerned that keeping a mixed-size flock is going to be detrimental over time if the bantam roos pass on their small egg genetics to our layers or if a bantam hen mates with a standard roo and becomes egg bound. How much of a real issue is this?

Yes, the bantam roo, if he breeds successfully with the hens (for some bantam roos it can be difficult, sometimes impossible to get good fertility on standard sized hens) the chicks you hatch have a chance of being smaller... and therefore also laying smaller eggs. You probably do not want that.

A bantam hen being mated by a large rooster.... this will never result in the hen getting egg bound. The hen could get damaged because the rooster is so heavy that he squished her. When I mixed sized my standard roosters were large and clumsy and my bantam hens were nimble, quick, and great fliers... so the big rooster was never able to mate them... no issues. Cochins however are not nimble or quick and I worry would get bred and squished by a standard rooster.

I only ever had 1 customer want bantam eggs (her son thought they were cute and so was happy to eat them). Other than that eggs are mostly sold by size/weight... so a carton of bantam eggs costs less... and most people like full size eggs.

no idea about the cats.

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Oh, duh about the bantam hen/standard roo... Of course she wouldn't produce large eggs since her "egg genetics" are already determined. I knew that.

I would price the bantam eggs lower than the standard eggs. I was just wondering if anyone here has seen a market for "cute" little bantam eggs... As a novelty more than anything; something to make you stand out from the other egg sellers. Interesting that you only have 1 interested customer.

Thanks for the reply. :)

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I eat the bantam eggs and sell the standard ones. I started with 9 bantams 8 years ago and still have that gene floating around in my flock. But during the winter they lay faithfully and I am more than happy to not have to buy eggs.

LMK17

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Really, they lay all winter? That would certainly be reason enough to keep them around! I actually had not heard that bantams tend to lay year-round. Is that a recognized bantam trait? Do they lay though the molt?

Also a good idea to sell the standard eggs and eat the bantam ones.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I honestly don't know if it is breed or size. My birds are so home grown and mixed up mutts that it is hard to say what "breed" my banties are. I started with one wyandotte, one easter egger, one blue laced red cornish, and 6 New Hampshires, two of them were roosters. The only other small birds I ever had were three Silkies and a few Polish. I used to see chickens with the crest and feathered feet like the silkies but that trait is going away. I do get some that look like Barred Rocks only small but most of them are just speckled black and white, very nondescript.

I know that I could count on a few small eggs in the nest box every day all winter. No idea who was laying them.

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
most of mine are still pure breeds... but the bantam are kept in different housing. ... So different treatment of the birds.... etc.

My bantam blue Wyandotte lays well.... my bantam blue laced red Wyandottes laid so poorly I sold them. :hu

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I just bought some standard blue laced red Wyandottes, they are beautiful birds. Hopefully they will lay decently.