Barber pole worms

Pinewood Ridge

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have a billy and his son, a wether, that continue to have diarrhea . They are in 2 separate pens. Two different lab tests have confirmed barber pole/screw worms. I have wormed them with Quest a couple times now. They clear up for about a month, then runny again.

Any other ideas?

thanks

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Check out Prohibit. I use it on my sheep when ivermectin doesn’t work. A package makes a gallon, in the refrigerator it will last 3 months. Be sure to label it! You need to know their weight so you might have to go back to the vet to weigh them.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Prohibit is about the only thing that works here on constant and severe cases. The only other thing is to mow the pasture they are in down to the dirt... and keep them off for at least 60 days... some larvae will survive but not as many. Hot and dry will help to kill larvae and eggs. Also, rotate them out of the pen 24-48 hours after worming, so they drop the worms and eggs and then keep them off for 60 days at least. Some of them will die and eggs will not all develop or hatch. The only other thing is to graze a different species behind them... barber pole worms tend to be species specific...sheep and goats pretty much are all that are so badly affected; cattle eating the pasture grass will uptake some of the worms on the stems of the grass and they do not develop in the cattle...

Latest posts