Barn doors??

Coolbreeze89

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I see three door options for my planned metal barn (doors that the goats/pigs will use to access corrals): typical “garage door” lift-up, roll-up doors, and sliding doors. Here in Texas, we have tons of mud daubers and wasp nests everywhere, and they love to get into sliders/tracks, etc. No concerns for snow (heavy rains seasonally, barring drought). I plan to have a lean-to over all sides where these doors would be, and honestly, I’d expect the doors to be open the vast majority of the time for ventilation (multiple LGDs, so I don’t need to lock up against predators...knock on wood). Any experience with one type versus another for long-term durability or problems to expect? I don’t have a metal Dutch-door option (I’ve seen several people on BYH who like those). Thanks!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Roll up doors annoy me. I have to open them up all the way to walk in, versus opening a sliding door just a little to let me walk in. Swing, hinged doors are ok too, I just don't like roll up doors. It comes down to your personal preference, what is easiest to operate, what gets in the way, the roller tracks that mud daubers clog up or the door that falls off the track, door hinges that sag and then the door won't open/close properly...……

If animals hit doors that operate on a track, it can get wonky too. I have a horse that has beat up the corner trim on both ends of the barn (no doors) because he likes to gallop through the barn alley bucking and kicking.