Ferguson K

Herd Master
Joined
Aug 3, 2015
Messages
2,577
Reaction score
4,762
Points
353
Location
Texas
I know this thread is old but bringing this up again could save lives. We have always used standard heat lamps, they were cheap and easy to get. They worked too and we always secured them, so they could never be knocked over. Its been around four years and we have been fine. But with anything like this all it takes is one wrong move and you could lose everything. Yesterday my father and brother were about to leave the barn, but my dad had a feeling he should do one last check. He immediately smelt burning, and when he went to check the stall with the sow and her babies he saw that the sow had knocked the lamp into the wall. The solid oak wall was bright red with embers. I thank god that someone, maybe a guardian angel, told my dad to go back in the barn. They immediately unplugged the lamp and started to put out the embers. Knowing that we could have lost everything? It was very eye opening. The thought of it just hurts to think about. And sharing this makes me feel like we were idiots for ever thinking these lamps could be safe.

To anyone who is still using these lamps please know they are not safe. We may have caught it but I know there are many who were too late and I would never want anyone in on BYH family to go through this.

Someone was watching after your family.
 

goatgurl

Herd Master
Joined
May 22, 2014
Messages
2,048
Reaction score
3,975
Points
343
Location
Arklahoma
guardian angels sure come in handy, don't they. so glad your dad listened to his gut and went back into the barn. stay safe kiddo
 
Top