Barn Floor

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Im getting started on my Christmas present today. :weeeOf course its for my goats but im so excited. We are building them a bigger more sturdy barn. And i was just courious about the floor. Would sand be a good or bad idea. It needs to drain fast so that is what we were thinking. And would the sand help keep them warm if they dug down in it? Should i put a floor in it or just put raised places off the ground for them to sleep on? I have no idea. Lol. TIA guys and gals!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am going to follow this thread!

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used something called process fill
Really fine rock
Sand would be good but would cost more
We just put some straw and waste hay in a portion for bedding

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have wood flooring. 1 is too tightly spaced for poop to fall through the flooring, so you have to pressure wash it when it gets stuck in the cracks. The other is spaced so it is possible for poop to fall through. I want to use "rock dust" or "process fill" when we get a big "barn" built.

I don't use bedding unless it is cold, they are young, or are kidding. It doesn't get super cold usually where I am. It will be in the 80's on Christmas.:)

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
We use Chapel Hill grit. It's the same as rock dust, process fill, etc. it's basically grit.

It packs down like concrete, but urine drains away quickly without any smell.

That is what we put in our new barn after trial and error with dirt, normal concrete, etc.

It's easy to clean, just take a broom and sweep the poo every now and then. (Could be daily, could be weekly depending on how many goats etc)

It's the only thing I will use from here on out
I'll see if I can find pics, I know I posted some before.

cteague

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok we will check into it. It doesnt sweep away? Or does it sorta harden?

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
As I said in my other post, it packs down like concrete. So no, it doesn't sweep away. You might get a little at first but as time goes on you won't. Drainage is great with it.

I wouldn't do sand. It's too hard to clean and you would get a lot of waste.

Latest posts