Barn Types

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
There are 100s of companies that offer "pretty" pole buildings, or steel buildings instead of the standard box with a peak. I tend to think any pole barn that has the double overhangs looks way nicer then the boxes.

This place has a bunch of different options. I've even seen places that will cover the entire barn with wood instead of metal.
https://www.superiorbuildings.net/agricultural-pole-buildings

This is a pole barn and I dont think many would say it was not pretty.
View attachment 86719
Ah... true... my barn is very plain.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@rachels.haven ... you need to sit down with a piece of paper..... and make a sketch of what you wanted in a barn.... take the experiences of what you had... and while sitting milking I know you must have thought... hey, I wish this was here, or I wish I could turn around this direction..... or it would work better for the goats to come in here and go out there.... all those little things of what you would have preferred when you were doing x and y would have been better.... then find something that you can "design" the inside the way you want......
I did it when I would bring the dairy cows in to get milked or have calves go on them..... and have some ideas in my mind of what I would prefer if I ever have a chance to have my nurse/milking cows where I want them....

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
@rachels.haven ... you need to sit down with a piece of paper..... and make a sketch of what you wanted in a barn.... take the experiences of what you had... and while sitting milking I know you must have thought... hey, I wish this was here, or I wish I could turn around this direction..... or it would work better for the goats to come in here and go out there.... all those little things of what you would have preferred when you were doing x and y would have been better.... then find something that you can "design" the inside the way you want......
I did it when I would bring the dairy cows in to get milked or have calves go on them..... and have some ideas in my mind of what I would prefer if I ever have a chance to have my nurse/milking cows where I want them....
That is one of the first things I did. I know what I want floor plan/layout-wise for the handling/milking flow. OH I MISS IT SO MUCH. We got a new barn lead today. The guy may be available before the end of the year. I sent a call and a text (voicemails are not the guy's favorite apparently). Now I need to cross my fingers and pray.

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good to know about geothermal. I'd only use radiant floor for a barn if it could be turned off and on by a switch- on the day before cleanout to thaw manure, off normally-and this is not the barn for it. The theme of this barn will be good ENOUGH.