Battling varroa mites

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I started using an oxalic acid vaporizer. It's very cost effective and very effective against mites. If you are handy you could make a vaporizer, I bought mine for about $130. OA is cheap and the treatments are pennies a hive. OAV is still not "legal" in the us, but well on it's way to being legal. It's legal in about 20 countries now and has been widely used in the US for the last 10 years.
Just thought I'd post what is working for me.
Robbin

Happy Chooks

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Interesting hive comparison. I treated all 3 of my hives for mites, using Apiguard. (2nd treatment last week) My 2 established hives (the 3rd is a captured swarm from this year), one is dropping mites like crazy. The other, virtually no mites. 2nd hive was a split off of the 1st hive a year ago, but they never raised a queen, so I purchased a queen from the same beekeeper that the 1st hive was from. I will be interested to compare honey production between these 2 hives next year.

Robbin

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
OA is now legal in the US, one of the major beekeeping groups finally got the FDA to undertake a study and following the study the FDA has approved OA dribble and Vaporizing for bees in the US.
I've been using it for about 3 years.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Day # 5 mite numbers and drop zone similar to yesterday. Liking what I see so far. Looks like some/quite a few lighter colored mites are now dropping. Wonder if those are newly hatched.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am going to do the oxalic acid dribble this year, but need to wait until there is less brood, probably end of Oct. I also need 3 screened bottom boards...I never intended to have 5 hives.

I am going to feed the Dadant winter pattie to all my hives. Better safe than sorry and they are easy to use.