Bayleaf Meadows

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
This morning, I took a photo of the beautiful landscape plants in my neighbor's yard and then came inside and read a FB post about a goat dying after eating the plant I just photographed- Perilla mint! It is nasty! http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/perillaminttoxic.html
IMG_20180822_080942327.jpg

Not the beauty berry in the foreground, but the lush purplish plant next to the wooden bench.

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Common here at edge of pasture and woods. Kills cows, too. Mow it down when young and keep it mowed. I do not think a goat used to being out on pasture would be at risk if well fed. Where trouble starts is dry lotted goat getting out and being starved for greens. Or a goat not fed enough. It is common here and my goats never bother it. Francis Hudson (Briarknoll) always said best protection against poisoning is a well fed goat.

Best to beware of landscape plants as most are toxic!

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
We have an issue with dried Cotton Wood leaves. If they eat to many of them, they get some sort of brain disorder, they start throwing their head back and staring at the sky.

I've never heard of cottonwood leaves being a problem, tho I suspect too much of any one thing could be.
Which livestock species is "they"?
What is the origin of the toxicity in cottonwood leaves?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
Interesting differences of opinions.
https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/goat-safe-leaves.14309/

https://libertyhomesteadfarm.com/dairy-goats/goats-101/edible-and-poisonous-plants/

With the recent rainfall, I actually have quite a bit of perilla mint growing on my place, and depending on the time of year, almost always have over the decades, but the cattle have never touched it. I 'could' get rid of it, if I wanted to drag my spray unit into the roughest wooded part of the property, but it's not worth the trouble, considering it also borders National Forest and other private property that I have no control over.

Last edited:

Donna R. Raybon

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
We have an issue with dried cottonwood leaves. If the Boer goats eat to many of them, they get some sort of brain disorder, they start throwing their head back and staring at the sky.

Star gazing is what you describe. Most symptomatic of B vitamin deficiency. This is why first thing I do to a stressed goat is give B. You will do no harm and you might save them. Intestinal bacteria make B as a by product, cause bacteria any harm (overeating, antibiotics, weaning, fever ), deficient goat. Young goats (and calves ) can over load with too much roughage when first ruminating and have B shortage as a result. Vets call it pseudopolio because animal unsteady on their feet. Injectable form is best to use as once rumen is functioning it breaks B down before it is absorbed in intestines.
Cannot speak to problems with cottonwood leaves, but have seen first hand damage perilla mint does if cow eats enough. I used to ride with local vet. When green in short supply cows will eat enough to cause harm. My goats might nibble as they walk by to see what it is but never seen them eat more than barest nibble then avoid.

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My first attempt at clipping a goat. Emphasis on "attempt." I'll give it another go and try to clean up all the spots I missed! I can only improve with experience. Here is Butternut
IMG_20181003_182830758.jpg
IMG_20181003_182842338.jpg

Next up for clipping tomorrow is Delilah, the other intermediate doeling I plan to show at the state fair. It'll be my first time showing goats, too!
IMG_20181003_182904602-1.jpg

And just for grins, here's a photo of the close call Sampson had when Biskit decided to ram him through the gate-
IMG_20181001_172718270.jpg
Sampson has learned to be quick on his feet now that rutting season is in full swing!

Last edited: