1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Goat with teeth knocked out? - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bayleaf Meadows- The Show That Was

Discussion in 'Member's "BackYardHerds" Journals' started by Bayleaf Meadows, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Jul 14, 2017
    Bayleaf Meadows

Bayleaf Meadows Loving the herd life

Some recent photos- P7120849.JPG
    Biskit looking good for the gals

P7120823.jpg
    Mabel getting ready to do her part to fill the milk pail

P7120821.jpg
    Yubi is cute as ever

P7120792.JPG
    Romeo hogs the feed pail with Yubi

P7120811.JPG
    I can never get the photo I want of our wether, Zorro.

2. Jul 18, 2017
    Bayleaf Meadows

3. Jul 18, 2017
    Goatgirl47

Goatgirl47 True BYH Addict

:lol: Thanks for sharing!

4. Jul 18, 2017
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

Now that's funny

5. Aug 11, 2017
    Bayleaf Meadows

Our farm is quite small, so if you're small like us, you may find this hay storage review helpful. We want to put a carport up for hay someday, but in the meantime we are using two Suncast storage units. The tall one can hold five bales stacked one atop the other, and the squarer unit holds eight (sometimes nine if the bales are shortish). They are not hard to assemble. We put them up on a platform to allow water to go under when it rains. They are built to stay in the elements and they haven't fallen apart or developed leaks. I haven't noticed a humidity issue. A couple of cautions- kid goats might get stuck behind or beneath if those spaces are not blocked off. Also, I think the spacing on the platform slats should be tighter than what we did to prevent trapping small kids' legs. Some reviews noted that the top of the squarer shaped one can lift if it's windy and break the hinge mechanism that holds it up. But the latch can be secured with a carabiner to prevent that. I bought the squarer one at BJ's; it was $299.

Attached Files:

6. Aug 11, 2017
    CntryBoy777

CntryBoy777 Herd Master

A board screwed down to the edge of the pallet sould keep little hooves from getting caught, but they look fine to me....I'd keep an eye on the inside just to make sure no condensation forms with the changing temps coming in a few wks....:)

7. Oct 9, 2017
    Bayleaf Meadows

Today, both Stella and Bella came into heat and were bred. They are sisters out of Mabel and Fortunato. Stella is a first freshener who had triplets last spring- doelings Stormy, Lightning, and buckling Thunder. Bella is a second freshener who also had triplets- Romeo, Valentine, and Rosy. Bella was placed with Biskit, our main herd sire. Everything went as planned. I paired Stella with Yubi, the OFA buckling out of Zamia and Valiant. Yubi is quite inexperienced and still on the small side, but he gave it his best. I have a question- If Stella doesn't settle with this first try, will she still flag and call during the next few days or will I have to wait to see in a few weeks if she comes back into heat? I have had trouble figuring out how to know if the breeding was successful.

Senile_Texas_Aggie likes this.
  8. Oct 9, 2017
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

Are you leaving them together for the day ?

9. Oct 9, 2017
    Bayleaf Meadows

I usually leave them together while I do chores and observe. Then when I see the doe looking for a way out, I put her back with the herd and then will repeat in the evening.

10. Oct 15, 2017
    Bayleaf Meadows

It seems that Yubi's first attempt at breeding Stella was a non-starter. She was calling and flagging today. This time around, things were better. More of the characteristic signs of success- falling off, hunching, discharge. If the timing was right, we should be in business!