Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Want to know a secret?
image.png

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There was a post on Facebook which said that more barn fires are caused by dusty fans than by heat lamps. With this hot weather, I thought I'd like to use the fan in the shed that houses Hazel and her two newborn kids. So I gave the fan a look and saw that it could use a good clean! Here are some photos-
image.png
image.png
image.png
image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 150
  • image.png
    image.png
    901 KB · Views: 170
  • image.png
    image.png
    739.1 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, Hazel sometimes produces polled goats when paired with a horned sire. Her only registered offspring, Captain Bounty, is polled and his sire is Biskit- a horned Nigerian Dwarf.
The same thing happened with Red Hot AKA Peanut. She had large buds so we disbudded her and registered her as horned (disbudded). When she kidded last year two kids were polled, and the sire of the kids was most definitely horned! One of her daughter from this year have really large nubs but we aren’t doing anything about it. Looks like she’ll be “giraffe polled”.

Good reminder on the fans. I saw the post too- last week we got all of ours cleaned up. :thumbsup

Will you be coming to Rocky Mount this weekend?

MiniSilkys

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The same thing happened with Red Hot AKA Peanut. She had large buds so we disbudded her and registered her as horned (disbudded). When she kidded last year two kids were polled, and the sire of the kids was most definitely horned! One of her daughter from this year have really large nubs but we aren’t doing anything about it. Looks like she’ll be “giraffe polled”.

Good reminder on the fans. I saw the post too- last week we got all of ours cleaned up. :thumbsup

Will you be coming to Rocky Mount this weekend?
GW, the last I heard about Red hot was that gets kids may not make it. What happened?

greybeard

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a 42" heavy duty fan that I run in my shop a lot. I have dust collection on most of my tools but that fan still picks up an amazing amount of dust.
All fans do, even in 'normal' air.
There's a reason for it tho..the dust doesn't just happen to fall on the blades from the air passing near the blades. (most of the air doesn't actually contact the blades..there's a boundary layer there that means no air movement, thus any dust in the 'air stream' can settle on the blade)
As the fan motor rotates the blades, the air is disturbed, electrons bumped around and an electrostatic charge is built up both on the blades and on each dust particle. Opposite polarities and opposites attract and the van der Waals Force Effect does the rest, making the dust particles stick together.,