Baymule’s Fence

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
A neighbor, Chase, came over last week and we looked at the pine logs laying on the ground. Little sawdust piles gave away the insects that were already burrowed into the logs, no mill would take them now. We lamented the waste. A few days later, he came up with an idea, make raised garden beds! Yes! Then the logs won’t be a total waste.

Chase used his two days off, Wednesday and Thursday to come help me out this week. He dragged out the logs, having to limb and top several. Using 2 logs for runners, he stacked the other logs on them.

View attachment 96989

The reason the logs are stacked up instead of making raised beds, is because I need to focus all my energy on fence. If we made the raised beds, I’d feel like I needed to develop them into a garden, and I can’t divide my time and energy. Maybe this fall or winter.

With the logs out of the way, Chase cut a few more trees that were in the fence line.

View attachment 96990

This one fell into the other trees and hung up.

View attachment 96991

He pushed on it with his tractor.

View attachment 96992

It was still hung up. He chained it to the tractor and backed up.

View attachment 96993

It fell down.

View attachment 96994
Raised beds! OMG fantastic way to use them and huge bonus the beds will look great too. Fence first, but get those beds in too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Monday morning I got a text, want to build fence today? Of course I did, so Bennett came over and speared 2 rolls of wire on his tractor forks. It took all day, but we got them up, and mostly clipped to the T-posts. I’ll try to get pictures today.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
It rained and drizzled all morning yesterday and finally the sun came out. Peggy and I used 3 bags of clips, finished clipping the bottom wire and next one up. We had to sit on the ground for the bottom wires. Then we clipped middle, top and a strand of barbed wire until we ran out of clips. Still have a lot of clipping to do. It didn’t take long to draw a crowd of inspectors.

41CF1FC0-21E5-4A6C-854B-2BE23EBACC3A.jpeg

A13D5052-8546-414D-8A5E-203682DA5C56.jpeg

4404A29B-B4E2-4614-A30B-4CBDD21CA13D.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Starting to wonder if it cheaper to stay here and buy alfalfa or go to Texas and fence at the price of wire!

You and I should have had Mr. Benny at the hardware store in Groveton order us in a truckload at $240. Sure didn’t see $450 coming!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well, it’s been awhile since I paid attention to the fence. It’s been a hot dry summer, temperatures in the 100’s for 2 1/2 months. I roofed my house in June with help of friends, due to hail damage and now have a nice shiny metal roof. The fence line that I was working on is clear now! The land next to me and behind me got clear cut.

Before.

IMG_4423.jpeg

H brace that I set. Before.

IMG_4927.jpeg

H brace after the clear cut logging.

IMG_5012.jpeg

IMG_5014.jpeg

This is my front yard, corner is next to that H brace. No more trees!

71659927702__D953D8D8-6EE1-4788-9729-AF7C50EA6163.fullsizerender.jpeg

Standing by the H brace, property line to the corner where line takes a right, going to the new fence line between me and Bennett and Peggy.

IMG_5016.jpeg

Standing at that corner, looking towards the house.

IMG_5149.jpeg

I talked to the shear operator on the logging crew and he went down the property line, shearing the stump off level with the ground.
He also went behind the horse pen and cleared almost all that property line almost to the back corner. He went along the property line and cleared me a fire lane, leaving a few trees for the shade.

I see fencing in my near future. I’ll have to hand dig the holes for the H corner braces at the corner. The posts will be set under a tree that I don’t want to cut. Can’t use the tractor auger because of the tree roots. I have to do this next, then run a string from brace to brace to mark the line for T-posts and dead man posts, plus another H brace in the middle. Dead man posts are wood posts set every so many T-posts. Then I can roll out wire. I’ll put up a gate in the line so I can go out on my tractor and mow the fire lane.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
WOW -- that's huge difference w/o the trees. I wonder if that will help with the summer heat (allowing breezes - do you get that?) or hurt (less shade - guessing more likely).

Latest posts