Baymule’s 2021 Feeder Pigs!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
We got 3 pigs today. Like last year, feeder pigs are scarce and high priced. 8 week old weaned piglets are going from $100 to $200 each. Tons of little miniature pigs, what am I going to do with that? Make a pig nugget and French fries?

Anyway, we went to go buy 3 approximately 100 pounders for $145 each. By the time he loaded up the trailer, there were 2 that would go over 150, maybe 175, and 1 smaller one. He said what about $150 each, we bought them.

We have a Hereford Hog, a Hampshire/Hereford cross and the smaller one is Hereford cross something who knows.

Hereford

85E9ACF6-73FD-44DE-BE69-F216ADD7CEBF.jpeg

Hampshire/Hereford cross
939FE0F0-C6C7-4F98-AA77-20BCB414DA3E.jpeg

Mutt
4E18A3F1-A9F0-486C-B38D-F5AD115726F6.jpeg

They had a nice mud hole going on, but there’s no mud here. I squirt pigs daily in the summer. About the best I can do is a wet cool spot, sand doesn’t make mud!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
There was hay left from keeping the steer in the Pig Palace. The pigs snuggle down in the hay at night and sleep. I checked on them one frosty morning and they didn’t even move. There are 3 big pigs in this picture! LOL
5D99BBD6-C390-4416-8A69-42A2EE1D06FE.jpeg

We had to take the metal feed bin out. They were eating 25 pounds a day! Our slaughter date isn’t until August, so I’m feeding them 8 pounds of pellets each morning and a 3 pound bucket of soured corn in the evening.

Yesterday I went to feed them and there was a black “something “ in the Pig Palace. Upon closer inspection (from MY side of the fence) I ascertained it was a crow. Not only did they catch the crow, they ate it. This morning there wasn’t even a feather left.

0BBD562D-8559-485F-9B76-D0E65846226A.jpeg

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am sure i feel bad for the crow or grossed out that they ate the feathers lol. My pigs let chickens sleep on them. However a hawk came into the yard and surprisingly enough they actually got aggressive with it. I havent seen that hawk since. Hoping the pop soon on keeps lookibg like she going to worse then the goats....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Actually I rather admire them for catching the crow. Crows are darned smart, you can't even hardly shoot one. Crows tore up my Daddy's garden and the minute a .22 barrel poked out a window, the call of alarm went up and they all flew off. He finally shot one and tied it to a tall pole, no crows came back to his garden for the rest of the season.

So for the pigs to catch the crow is pretty outstanding. If they got a crow snack, they earned it.

And THAT'S why I don't go in the pig pen and feed and water then from OUTSIDE the pen. I love my PIG PALACE!

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
J
There was hay left from keeping the steer in the Pig Palace. The pigs snuggle down in the hay at night and sleep. I checked on them one frosty morning and they didn’t even move. There are 3 big pigs in this picture! LOL
View attachment 83874

We had to take the metal feed bin out. They were eating 25 pounds a day! Our slaughter date isn’t until August, so I’m feeding them 8 pounds of pellets each morning and a 3 pound bucket of soured corn in the evening.

Yesterday I went to feed them and there was a black “something “ in the Pig Palace. Upon closer inspection (from MY side of the fence) I ascertained it was a crow. Not only did they catch the crow, they ate it. This morning there wasn’t even a feather left.

View attachment 83875
Just.... wowsers.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pigs are very smart. Those who farrow in cold will cover the babes and uncover to feed, recover when done. Ate a crow? Well, obviously you aren't feeding enough now! :lol: Guess ya don't want 3 at 800# each???

Yrs back, I had a sow kill and eat a hen who flew into her stall when she had had piglets. So fast!! Saw it and I swear, faster than I could even yell at her. Nope, I never went in there with her! My AGHs from couple years ago were fine with you even handling the piglets. :idunno

Last edited:

Latest posts