Baymule’s 2021 Lambing

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
-3 this morning. I have never, ever in my entire life of 65 years experienced such cold. Tomorrow we have another ice storm coming and Thursday we are getting more snow. The sun is shining, high today of 24F by 5:00.

We got three 40 pound bags of birdseed Wednesday, 6 days ago, opened second bag yesterday. BJ made birdseed peanut butter balls yesterday and the poor hungry birds swarmed it. I have some lard I rendered from our pigs, think we’ll add that today. They need the fats and extra nutrition. Before I even had my coffee, I ran out and scattered seed for them.

I ran out this morning and brought Sheba and Sentry in. They both have been working hard, keeping our lambs safe. Two warm dead dogs in the floor right now.

We haven’t lost power and the water hasn’t froze up. We are Blessed.

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
@Beekissed i don't have a sled, what would I do with a sled? This is busting records set in 1909! It could be awhile before we do this again! And the battery is dead in the mule, got one ordered and THAT ain't doin' us no good now! LOL
Anything that can slide is a sled. A trash can lid with a flat handle works well (turn upside down to make a bowl).

If you do use a sled, slide it on the same track each time and try to walk beside the sled track not in it to avoid breaking up the ice pack the sled forms, it will be easier to pull each time.

chickens really

Herd Master
Reaction score
-3 this morning. I have never, ever in my entire life of 65 years experienced such cold. Tomorrow we have another ice storm coming and Thursday we are getting more snow. The sun is shining, high today of 24F by 5:00.

We got three 40 pound bags of birdseed Wednesday, 6 days ago, opened second bag yesterday. BJ made birdseed peanut butter balls yesterday and the poor hungry birds swarmed it. I have some lard I rendered from our pigs, think we’ll add that today. They need the fats and extra nutrition. Before I even had my coffee, I ran out and scattered seed for them.

I ran out this morning and brought Sheba and Sentry in. They both have been working hard, keeping our lambs safe. Two warm dead dogs in the floor right now.

Holy smokes! You have been hit by winter ❄️. That’s not good when you are not prepared for it. Thank goodness everything is okay and it won’t be around for long. Bundle up and take care. Finally we are out of our deep freeze. Brrrrr! It was horrible. 🥶❄️😞

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score

I was just going to ask about your power this morning, as I watched a news clip stating TX was in trouble with this cold. I'm so glad you still have power, Bay!!! :hugs How like you to be worrying about the wild birds instead of moaning about the winter weather....I love it!

Stay warm, my friend, and be careful walking around out there, tending to animals. My boy brought me some YakTraks and boy, did they make a difference! I was skating to animal chores but these give me some more footing.

I figure you have seen this but I just got to see it this morning, as I don't have TV and don't seek out the news....my son sent it to me:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was reading a text from a friend and Mr. Nosy had to jump up and see what I was doing. I had phone in hand and got this picture, too cute not to share!

E2E8F8FF-E837-4D23-8809-25CA5095D837.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Because of the storms and extreme cold, I’ve kept the ewes and new lambs in the barn. I opened the gate to the lot so the sheep could run around.

DAAAADD!!! What IS this awful stuff?

4DA6CCB7-A002-4CBE-8332-DC0527EA5DEB.jpeg

Here come the ewes!

FC8DC71E-52DB-4F90-9742-FE4C39F8CE65.jpeg

And there they go! Hey! Come back!

CC1D2920-BC4F-4EBC-8846-E5F831FEC063.jpeg

I guess they can’t take a little SNOW!

CCE4B387-A604-4F5C-9D71-00EEAFFA229F.jpeg

Latest posts