Baymule’s 2021 Lambing

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
SCORE!!! Our neighbor has a heating and AC business and is working every day, trying to fix heat for people-and taking no pay for it. I asked if they would pick up some milk for the lambs if they went to town. He got 2 half gallons, one whole milk, one 2% and they were the ONLY milk in the case. The store shelves are wiped out, trucks can't deliver to the grocery stores. We have him 4 dozen eggs for the milk, we are both delighted. He is also pulling people's cars out of the ditches when he finds someone who ran off the roads.

The milk is for Reject and Tiny, the bottle lambs. I have a half gallon that they are working on now, 1 gallon and a half gallon that I had in the freezer. I am afraid of running out before the roads thaw, the trucks can run again, and we can make it to town. With these two half gallons, I think we'll make it.

News showed 18 wheelers at the truck stops, the parking lots are full. I-20 is at a stop, trucks can't move and the lines are miles long.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Mix it a little heavier on the replacer.... they will be glad to get warm milk and will drink it a little better than they did as little tiny newborns. THANK goodness for neighbors.... and thank goodness you got all that milk ahead of time..... but they will drink the replacer if they get hungry enough.
And yep, they are soooooo cute when they get to go out and run and play in something new.....

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Fox news just interviewed Sid Miller, the Texas Ag Commissioner. The outlook is bleak. Dairys are dumping milk because trucks can't get there to pick it up. Grocery shelves are bare. He said it will take 6-8 weeks to get grocery stores stocked again.

Because not enough gas went through the lines, (it was so cold that it wasn't moving) baby chicks in the chicken houses died of cold. Incubators had no power, the eggs died and there will be no replacement chicks for another 30 days. The chicken food supply has been disrupted. Citrus trees in the Rio Grande Valley lost the fruit-it froze. Agriculture has been screwed over in this freeze.

Ercot is the company that is in charge of the Texas power grid and said that everything was winterized before the storm hit. uhhhhhh....... nope! They changed the board of directors to a bunch of yay-hoos that don't even live here! The governor is angry, Sid Miller is beyond angry, they are out for blood. DON'T MESS WITH TEXAS.

At this moment, I am SOOOOO glad that I got that milk replacer. I'll be mixing it in the remaining milk that I have to stretch it out. The lambs were 2 weeks old yesterday. I got to make it 2 more weeks. I'll be on a quest for milk, canned evaporated too.

I need to email the hatchery where I get the cornish cross chicks. If they lost power, there won't be any chicks for me to pick up on February 24. I ordered 50 and 50 for March 24.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
You will be lucky to get the Mar 24 chicks.... be glad that you aren't getting the Feb 24th ones.... if the eggs did survive the chicks would be weaker.... have had chicks that survived power outages and then reheated the incubator and they usually just aren't as healthy. If the hatchery had backup generator power then you might be fine.... but remember, you still could have some crappy weather.... you may want to think about a portable generator in the future to be able to run some essentials....
Freezes like this one that is so completely out of the norm for places like where you are and in the south in general will have longer lasting effects. There could be some major damage to the trees as well as the lost crops this year. Fruit will be very hard to come by for the consumer... but moreso, the farmer is looking at financial disaster with not having any crop to bring in. If there is severe damage to the trees, then you are talking about having to possibly replant complete orchards. Years for a crop to come in.
Vegs will be later to be planted, except for what was maybe already planted there and will be lost.... have to be replanted. And not knowing your weather real well, but from what you have said, there are windows where you don't try to have some crops due to the extreme heat or dry weather....
I am not sticking up for the power company.... but realize that what they would consider "winterizing" is not for what you got hit with. And they could very well have really screwed up.... but.... what you all call winter we call fall here.... perspective....As for the dairies dumping milk.... we do that here when the roads are bad and they cannot get in to get the milk from the farms. The good thing is the farmers will get paid for the milk that is dumped since it is beyond their control.... but a farmer hates to see the waste. Still better than a tractor trailer in a horrible accident like was on the interstate there.... There is only so much "prep" that can be done when you get something like this 100 yr event.... some things you just can't really prep for much.... you can't store milk more than maybe 6 milkings ( the norm is 4 milkings or every 48 hours) , and most farms do not have the extra space in the bulk milk tanks to hold more than 4 or 5 milkings ( that is what it is called based on a normal 2 times a day milking.... even the 3x a day milking farms still say "4 " milkings in regards to the truck pick up schedules.... it is an every other day for many.... but with the size of so many farms now they often pick up every day.... the big farms will milk directly into the tankers and they get picked up as soon as they are filled..... several a day.....

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I may be grossly misinterpreted things because we always get a lot of snow and ice but @Baymule are your mail trucks running? Walmart, sam's or costco (or even amazon) may ship powdered milk. It may work in a pinch and it's nasty enough hopefully no one is buying it out. Baby chicks are under the mail shipping embargo, but supposedly merchandise isn't and powdered milk is light.