Baymule’s 2021 Lambing

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ok, it started a little early, there will be another one, but the rest will be in February 2021.
I had Ringo with 2 ewes to sell as bred ewes. The buyer lost his job due to Covid and oil patch layoffs. He found another job, but not what he was making. House note, car notes, wife and 3 kids supersedes buying a couple of ewes. I totally get that and told him when things improve for him, if he still wants to raise a few Sheep, we will get him fixed up.

Domino had twins last night, a ram and ewe. Of course they are adorable.

09A8728C-A090-43DF-8443-E438770253C1.jpeg

The ram lamb.

3CFB88F1-C7E5-440C-A02F-1D26FFE29B74.jpeg

The ewe lamb

32918101-5DE4-483E-9A63-655788DB08E2.jpeg

Domino had a single her first lambing, he was big and his front feet were bent forward at the pastern, but they straightened out. She is small and short coupled, her sire was that short backed Dorper ram I had. LOL Autocorrect changed sire to diet. That’s not even close!

If she had one lamb, she seemed to be content, ignoring the bleats from the other lamb. I never jug my ewes, but thought I might oughta jug this trio. All those other ewes were confusing the lambs, all 3 needed some close time together. Autocorrect changed JUG to HUG! I do too hug my sheep!

B12D6AC5-8D17-4505-A6F7-F778D9BE5BE3.jpeg

The space is horse wire on 3 sides, 1 side is a cow panel. I put a half of a hog panel over it and tied it tight with hay twine. They are so tiny and not attached to their mom enough to suit me. I was afraid they would pop through the cow panel.

Sheba and Sentry went in the barn with me to check out the lambs. Another reason I jugged them, Sheba was VERY intent on the lambs. Guardian instinct kicking in? Oh boy! New play toys? I dunno and don’t want cow panel popping lambs to find out. She will get lots of supervised lamb time, but they need to get acquainted with Mom first.

Domino is on my cull list, nice of her to give me two lambs for auction.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This morning Sheba and Sentry went in the lamb jug with me. They were both intent on snarfing up the milky lamb poo. Domino decided she liked the lambs enough to butt the dogs, so I put them out. Sheba kept a close watch on them.

45D04BBA-6AEC-41EA-9F68-754F5FFBD914.jpeg

Kusanar

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This morning Sheba and Sentry went in the lamb jug with me. They were both intent on snarfing up the milky lamb poo. Domino decided she liked the lambs enough to butt the dogs, so I put them out. Sheba kept a close watch on them.

View attachment 78303
I have actually heard somewhere that having a "predator" near by will make a ewe bond faster with her lambs, she stops ignoring them and starts protecting them. Maybe making a 2nd jug next to hers and leaving a dog in there might help?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
She is catching on. This is her second Lambing. Her first lambing was a single, so she was probably wondering where that extra lamb came from. LOL LOL

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So cute! Should bring good money at auction too with those colors. Check to see if the prices are higher with lambs at side or if you will get more for 3 individual sales. Maybe sell the ram lamb as one lot at 2 months and ewe and remaining ewe lamb at side if price would be high enough.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ringo is awesome. Half my flock is on the cull list for 2021. When the lambs are ready to sell, Ewes are going too. It will be hard, they are pets, but it is time to move up to better ewes. The Dorper ram I had had a big butt, but was short coupled and threw small lambs.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ringo is awesome. Half my flock is on the cull list for 2021. When the lambs are ready to sell, Ewes are going too. It will be hard, they are pets, but it is time to move up to better ewes. The Dorper ram I had had a big butt, but was short coupled and threw small lambs.

We'll be culling hard in the next few years as well....we really want a certain shape, size, conformation and parasite resistance, so culling is going to be pretty stringent for awhile.

I really like my main ram this year but I'm still wanting something a little more...MORE. All in due time.