Baymule’s 4th Lambing

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
:lol:
That would probably fall flat since I do the cooking.

I have gotten permission to make roast chicken on rare occasion. DW and DD2 aren't real fond of chicken. Now since I get to actually roast one now and again (which probably means 3 or 4 a year max, I need to find someone that has real chicken rather than store franken chickens. I know there is a guy at the Farmer's Market that has both rabbit (I'm sure that would be a no go) and chicken but the market doesn't open until May. There is a winter market down in Burlington every other Saturday but I don't think I want to drive 50 miles round trip for a chicken.

RollingAcres

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you tried looking up to see if there's a website for the Farmer's Market? I know some FMs have websites and they list their vendors on the site. From there you can look up the vendor's info and maybe contact that guy to see if you can buy chicken (and perhaps rabbit) from him.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I still will do two at a time, then i don't know who is dinner.....even with the chickens and rabbits, .....

Most times several chickens are in the freezer party, such a mess so I like to get it done and move on. :rolleyes: The chickens don't bother me as those with any "special" considerations are normally here for the duration. Those extra boys that hatch, eat well so that I can.:D =D

Bay does a LOT of her own -- but, notice the sheep go to slaughterhouse. Some things are "better" left to others. It helps to soften the "personal" issues. Once a chop or steak, I don't remember their name. :cool:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is a possibility. Well I looked them up, they link to a FB page. Can't see the Members unless you do FB, which I don't.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don't know his name! Though, now that I think of it I think I know the farm name. OK, found THEIR FB page, has address, phone and email!

OK emailed, thanks for the suggestion RA.

Dale HWA

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
hahaha, I've found my people here! I'm all about putting things in the freezer that I know what has gone into them. Last year i got to take a Deer off a private ranch, that was so nice! this year im looking forward to see how many lambs we get, if its more than 2 rams, 1 will go in my freezer, I'll probably spread it around with my family as well.
We hatched some chicks over the christmas break so they are almost 8 weeks old now, Im waiting to see which are roosters... then off to the chop block!!!

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
hahaha, I've found my people here! I'm all about putting things in the freezer that I know what has gone into them. Last year i got to take a Deer off a private ranch, that was so nice! this year im looking forward to see how many lambs we get, if its more than 2 rams, 1 will go in my freezer, I'll probably spread it around with my family as well.
We hatched some chicks over the christmas break so they are almost 8 weeks old now, Im waiting to see which are roosters... then off to the chop block!!!

Isnt it great to find your way into your herd ? :lol::yesss:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score

They will show the neck feathering sooner than you think. BUT -- if they are from a laying flock, you will need to keep them a few months to get size that is worth the effort. I often pen mine & feed them out after 16 weeks. Traditionally I keep the heavier types for just this purpose. Good eating.

Heck, I've got one hen who has decided to go broody this past week!
It's to early for me but, she's at it...so, I will set her a nest in about 3-4 days, once I am sure she is committed. What the heck:idunno Next month I'll have 3-4 more. I love my broody hens.

Latest posts