Baymule’s Farm Pictures

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think I'll call mine the Pig Palace Spider, cause that's where she is. LOL LOL
:lol: Pig Palace Spider! That’s awesome!

How cool is it that @Finnie and I have the same spider hanging around?
Very cool. Lol, I was actually hoping I had some special kind of Texas spider. Maybe mine can be Texas Pig Spider.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have walked into big webs that span 2-3 feet in the Sheep barn. Of course they wrap around my head and I go nuts trying to wipe them off. I imagine a big spider is perched in my hair and I must look like a slap happy lunatic.

My garden spider has been busy at the Pig Palace. Just under the eve, at the corner is next years brood.

BF37E8E3-4E36-40E8-A3AF-9EF4E9594625.jpeg

Then today I dumped out and cleaned Goldie the steer’s water tank and got this picture. I love it.

56D55F3F-9DAC-4150-97C5-F8D2B22281F2.jpeg

Walking through the woods yesterday, the beautyberries are putting on a show. The berries are bland tasting but you can make a deep purple jelly from them, flavored with lemon and orange. The leaves are an insect repellent. Pack a glass jar with crushed leaves and cover with 80 proof vodka. Put in a dark cool place, shake daily for two weeks. Strain, mash the leaves to get all the juice out, strain again. Put in a spray mist bottle. If bugs do bite you, they will get drunk and won’t bite again. LOL LOL

0E73400E-35A0-49BA-8928-E1F4EF7F1957.jpeg

9C13907F-27C6-4CD2-8240-9A9B2A1A969C.jpeg

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if beautyberry would work for horse/deer flies on animals? Not that I could find any in my region, but it's a thought.

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if beautyberry would work for horse/deer flies on animals? Not that I could find any in my region, but it's a thought.

Yes. In fact, in years past -- when horses were used for draft -- they'd pull a branch, crush leaves some & tuck them under edges of harness to rebel flies/bugs. You can also crush the leaves in your hand and then rub them on your skin for repellant. They find deer using them for repellant by bedding under them. Leaves are high protein in Spring (about 18%) but drop after summer flower/fruiting (about 8%). My goats will eat them early, not in summer -- taste different? Probably. Birds love the fruit...deer, too.

The jelly is pretty -- a lovely pink. And if made without the other fruits Bay mentions, I think it tastes a lot like marachino(sp?) cherry juice. I made some out of curiosity.

They are quite showy plants!

rachels.haven

Herd Master
Reaction score
You guys are lucky! Looks like it's only hardy to zone 7 so I won't be able to grow it, but it sounds like a great thing to have around in at least a spot or two.

Editing to add, there might be some kinds that grow as far as zone 5. I might try.

Latest posts