Baymule’s Journal

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
This handsome fellow was by the driveway fence when I got to the farm this morning.

View attachment 93124

@Finnie i will definitely take care of myself. I worked outside Saturday and Sunday until noon and that was too long. Need to knock off by 11.
Is he some kind of Brahma or Water Buffalo? That doesn’t look like an ordinary bull.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brahamas aren’t that docile. They are the cow you want for range cattle. They can get pretty wild, they are tough survivor cattle. I’ve hand fed Brahama bulls cow cubes, sweet as they could be, but the majority would just as soon stomp you into a mushy mess as look at you. Bennet’s are probably fairly gentle, he rides a 4 wheeler to check on them every morning and feeds them. They come running to him.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Brahma cattle are more protective than some. Bred in to them to be survivors.....Mostly it is in the handling of them... there are always a few with attitudes... and yes, you want cattle with protective attitudes that run the brush and rough country... but MOST will learn who is the good guy and who is not and act accordingly.
Treatment of them early in their life has a big impression on the rest of their life. AND attitude is inherited.... and learned at the momma's side.... MOST cows we have with a "don't want to come in" attitude have calves the same way... They learn what they live....
Got a few here, angus and crosses... that are high headed and they are being weeded out. They cause disruption in the groups... one stupid acting nut case that doesn't want to come in the catch pen will take a half dozen running back out... or high headed ones that are looking for a way out or OVER a fence once penned... don't stay around here anymore.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Absolutely! Have seen it in the sheep - taking on mama's attitude. We get rid of wild, crazy ewes and ewelings. Not worth the trouble of working with them. And they upset the calm ones making them harder to handle.

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Brahma are supposed to be fairly docile. Sure is pretty.
Most of them are pretty nice. We take the ones with attitude to the market but they are very protective of the babies even if it's not there's lol

Attachments

• IMG_20220331_174229067.jpg
    IMG_20220331_174229067.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 37