Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ringo was bred by Virginia Tech University in their parasite resistance program. Young sheep are purposely infected with parasites. Those that are susceptible and become wormy are treated and sold. Those that do not become wormy are sold in special sales. That’s the short version, there is a lot of research that goes on.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ringo has 3 other daughters, triplets out of Miranda LAMBert. LOL They were born in February 2021

Nova—350. Excellent!
Nora—0. ZERO!! Beyond excellent!
Tiny—650 Good! Treat with Garlic Barrier

Miranda weaned twins December 9 they were 3 months old.
Her count— ZERO!!

I am very happy to have these three daughters of Ringo and Miranda.

@Lstewart86 I treated Rosie today with Garlic Barrier. I’ll treat her again in 10-14 days.

Ringo is such a goofball. I ran his harem, and him, through the chute today so I could treat ewes and trim feet. He likes the apple flavored ivermectin and will suck it out of the tube, given the chance. I didn’t give him the chance. But he got feed for going through the chute. He raided my bucket of supplies and I had to get it away from him. I gave Garlic Barrier to Rosie, Tiny and Nova. Ringo begged for some, so he got the rest out of the drench gun. He makes me laugh.

My other registered ewe, April has one of those “Why aren’t you dead?” Worm egg counts. Drum roll………
12,650 !!!!! April passes FAMCHA with bright pink eye membranes! Just goes to show ya’ nothing beats a fecal exam.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Pretty sure April came with her load of friends. It’s not affecting her, she looks healthy and eye membranes are bright pink.

Sometimes moving an animal out of where they were raised and putting them in a different environment can throw them off. If this is their normal, then it is what it is. If a new place threw off their immunity or my farm parasites are different from their farm parasites, then I will watch closely and test often.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Don't forget too that just moving them to a new place puts stress which can result in a worm bloom, and subsequent increase in worm eggs; just like you said.... We now almost always worm any purchased cows so that they have a chance to start out clean(er) even with our "bugs" being different where they came from.
And looking healthy and all might be that she is very resistant to the worms affecting her... not as good as being worm free, but still meaning that they are adapted to carrying a load without it being dehabilitating...