Baymule’s Journal

Margali

Herd Master
Reaction score
While I was in high school, an SCA aquaintance lost his full grown mastiff to regular snapper. Dog's belly looked like he had been sliced open with knives. They drag netted his pond and caught the sucker. The snapper's shell was several feet across as I recall. He had DNR confirm it wasn't the protected one then they ate it.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our snapping turtles here have gotten that big... When I was a kid, we would go down to the 4 acre lake at my grandmother's house, and we would see them out floating in the lake with just barely their head out of the water... They would make quick work of the newly hatched baby ducks. My dad would help catch them and the chef's across the road at the fancy restaurant would take them and feed them lettuce and keep them in a clean water tub for a couple weeks then once the "mud taste" was out of them, they would kill and cook them.
Sorry @Baymule , here if I find any, they are caught and contained and shot... Don't see many here in this area due to there not being so many bodies of water like ponds and lakes... we have more streams/creeks/rivers... except you will find them in farm ponds... and they will travel distances for a new body of water to inhabit and to lay eggs...

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Son brought the portable building from his house Saturday evening. Then he did something stupid and pulled a muscle in his back, he’s down. He hurt so bad that he went to an urgent care, was told to take it easy for a couple of weeks. He did load the blocks in his other truck, he brought it over yesterday and I took him back home. I’ll get them unloaded and somewhere along the way, we’ll get it blocked up and start moving the heavy stuff into it.

F4A16A67-922A-4BAC-9784-89DF98D2EEF1.jpeg

This building doesn’t have a whole lot of life left in it, but I need the storage. It’s away from the fence, I’ll construct a lean to off the back, if nothing else, I can park the mule or tractor in it.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I let Bennett put his cows in the back field today. There’s lots of grass, fence won’t hold sheep or dogs, so why waste such lush grass? A flock of cow birds showed up and sat on the gate. Then they took flight and followed the cattle, eating the insects the cattle stirred up

63F033B6-A2E1-4645-A10B-60639D8EE781.jpeg

445B8237-926F-4A22-B016-59BEB9DD0A1A.jpeg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
So sorry about his back! Particularly since he can't help you get that shed levelled on blocks. :lol: Men think they are indestructible then hurt themselves. Silly fellows!

Even if it only has a few years of life left, it will be useful for a while. We have an 8' x 12' plywood construction shed (one left of 3 we bought 30 years ago). The other 2 have disintegrated but this one is ok, and we keep repairing it. It used to house the hay on the field until we emptied one of the Connexes out for hay. It occurred to me that we could attach the truck or tractor to it, use poles under it to roll it on, and move it over to the sheep corral. Rolling it on poles is how we got it out on the field. If we put it at/attached to the sheep night corral they would have an 8'x12' shed for shelter instead of the small tipi shelter. And it would be up out of the mud. Then we could take the tipi shelter panels down and take them to Texas for field shelters there. Those corral panels are 8'x12' and we can mount them on 4'-5' tall posts instead of the tipi shape. Using 2 of them we could have 2 shelters for the sheep. I have 7 of them that we want to take to Texas. By putting a short wall on the north side, we would have wind breaks and shelters in the fields. Using the tractor post hole digger DS3 is giving us to set the cross-arm posts, it would cost us nothing for the shelters, other than for the wind break portion. We have a lot of cross-arms left from the pool deck, and fencing projects that we are also bringing to TX. They are soaked in creosote so don't rot. :) And are about 50 years old now so hard as rocks. They have holes in them for bolts so we can bolt them together - 4 uprights at the corners, bolt on cross pieces to support the metal corral covers and done. Since the corral covers are metal pole framing with galvanized corrugated metal on them,we can put 2 sets of posts several feet apart, then put a corral cover on each with some corrugated metal roofing pieces between them on crosspieces. Presto - a 12' x 20' cover for the sheep. If we put it next to the fenceline we can put the hay under it. Maybe.