Baymule’s Journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Slower growing is often preferred for replacement ewes. Fast growing better for market animals that are going to slaughter since it gets them off the food bill and $$ into your pocket faster.

Some breeders say slower growing replacement ewes will reach normal adult size and be more prolific longer. Over feeding replacement ewe lambs and yearlings is not recommended since too fast growing tends to encourage internal fat which is bad for reproduction. As the female triplet who was smaller at birth than her brothers but is actively thriving, she may just take a little longer to grow out. Since she is a replacement ewe and not going to market, there is no rush.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Dogs were barking mad last night. Coyotes were howling and yipping, close. I walked out on the front porch and they sounded like they were in the front field. I scanned with a flashlight, but it doesn’t reach out very far. Dogs were ferocious.and in a frenzy. I yelled Good dogs, get’em! Over and over, until coyotes went silent.

Just a couple of hours later, the dogs went off again. I walked out on the porch and yelled good dogs some more. Coyotes didn’t sound as close as the first time, but were close enough to set the dogs off again.

Right before 5:00, they went off again. I didn’t hear coyotes, but the dogs knew.

I love my dogs. ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My son came over yesterday afternoon, came riding up on his vintage 3 wheeler he bought in Oklahoma while working there. He had taken back roads to Groveton, 12 miles in a straight shot from his house. With all his wandering, probably 20, then he filled the gas tank. He took back roads, meandered his way to my house, just enjoying himself and happy. Once here, we set a round bale of hay for the sheep. He got on his zero turn mower and mowed my yard and driveway. He hitched up my flatbed, loaded mower and 3 wheeler, to go mow at his house. He had a truck here. He has an old truck he leaves here. My yard looks real nice now, better than the mowing I did several days ago.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
My son came over yesterday afternoon, came riding up on his vintage 3 wheeler he bought in Oklahoma while working there. He had taken back roads to Groveton, 12 miles in a straight shot from his house. With all his wandering, probably 20, then he filled the gas tank. He took back roads, meandered his way to my house, just enjoying himself and happy. Once here, we set a round bale of hay for the sheep. He got on his zero turn mower and mowed my yard and driveway. He hitched up my flatbed, loaded mower and 3 wheeler, to go mow at his house. He had a truck here. He has an old truck he leaves here. My yard looks real nice now, better than the mowing I did several days ago.
Awe - now that's a great day for all. ♥️

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I caught Lucy kicking Dandelion off the teat today. That’s her brother next to her.

IMG_4321.jpeg

IMG_4322.jpeg

IMG_4323.jpeg

I took her out of the pen and fed her separately.

IMG_4325.jpeg

I brought her in the house this evening and offered her milk in a bowl. She won’t take a bottle, so I thought maybe she’ll drink milk like water. She stuck her nose in it, snorted milk, licked her lips. It took awhile, but she drank it. I’ll try again in the morning. It’s getting dark now and the little stinker is in the driveway, grazing. I’m going go make sure she’s in the night pen.

Latest posts