Baymule’s Journal

HomeOnTheRange

Golden Herd Lurker
Reaction score
She is 16, and graduated with 36 college credits.
Wow, going to be a sophomore when she starts collage! Congrats.

Sad part is, when it finally grinds to a halt, it’s going to STOP and we will get slapped with 100+ temperatures.
We have started our "will not really rain again until the end of August". We should hit the 100+ mark next week. Hang in there @Baymule!!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
A storm coming in tonight at 7-ish and another bigger one at 7-ish tomorrow morning. Just when it dried up enough so I could drive my truck outa here! I may be back to driving the mule to my car, which is still parked at church.
I’m going for another cup of coffee.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
If/when that all dries out you all are going to have cracks in the ground that pretend to be the Grand Canyon.
Only in a couple of places. Most of the soil is a loam mix of clay and sand. Instead of cracks, it sets up like concrete. It will bend a T-post. Lots of rain and it’s soft mush.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The tractor saga…….
Before my son left on Sunday, he hooked up the bush hog on my tractor. He showed me a small square plug on the side of the gear box and a bigger bolt on top. He said take out the side plug, take off the top plug and fill with 90 weight gear oil until it runs out the side.

Ok, I got this! Carson and I went to Lufkin on Monday and got a quart bottle of 90 weight gear oil. When we got home, it was time to feed bottle lambs, then the dogs and sheep.

Tuesday was go get feed day, trying to beat the coming storm, barely made it. Then winds up to 80 MPH, hard rains and 2 trees across the driveway. No tractor work Tuesday. No power either.

Wednesday! I worked sheep through the chute, wormed the girls that are on a 5 day treatment and they didn’t get it Tuesday. LOL

Then I turned my attention to the gear box. Soaked both plugs with PB Blaster. Tried all kinds of wrenches, finally found a fit and got the plugs out. Filled with gear oil and put plugs back in. Now, grease it! I looked and looked for a grease gun. I have 2, but they are somewhere safe, cause o sure can’t find them. Come on Carson! Let’s go to Lowe’s! It’s only 30 miles away.

Carson made it’s of new friends at Lowe’s. I got a shiny new blue grease gun. Came home, time to do feeding and get ready for church.

Thursday-today! I did morning chores. Got a brief rain shower, the sun came out. I got my new grease gun out of the box and read instructions on how to put it together. It ain’t rocket science but I’m no genius either. I got it together.

IMG_6697.jpeg

I got the grease tube. Hmm…. Read the instructions. Which end goes where?

IMG_6698.jpeg

Got to pull the plunger thing out. I did. I poked a wood stake ( the same one I beat the rattlesnake’s head to mush with) down the tube, then measured it next to the grease tube. Nope, I gotta pull more of that plunger thing out. I measured it with the sake beating stake again. Nope, still haven’t pulled it far enough. This was gonna require some serious pulling. I braced with my feet and pulled.

IMG_6699.jpeg

Measured with snake bashing stake, measured against grease tube, I did it! I put treasure in and screwed top on. Then i happily tarted greasing the tractor.

Until…….

I put the hose coupling on a grease fitting and could not get it back off. I pulled, I pulled some more. I got vise grips

IMG_6700.jpeg

I tried an assortment of tools, to no avail. For over an hour I walked from tractor to shed, rummaging around like a frantic rat, trying to find the magic tool that could get down in that tight spot and break loose the coupling. Failure after failure, putting up tools, trying something else.

IMG_6702.jpeg

I found it! Eureka!

IMG_6703.jpeg

I pried the coupling off the grease fitting!

There’s just no room to get old of anything down in there

IMG_6704.jpeg

I put tools away. I started mowing around the house, then down the driveway.

IMG_6705.jpeg

I mowed both sides and around the entrance. Then I mowed down the middle. Before I got done, it was raining. I parked tractor and ran for the house.

I fixed an early supper, rain stopped. I went outside and fed animals, barely finishing before the rains returned. It’s been storming, wind blowing rain sideways again, while I wrote this. I was watching the news for the weather report. Oh goodie! Another storm blowing in the morning at 5 or 6 AM. How lucky can one get!!!!!

Power went off about 15 minutes ago. Just freakin fantastic. Y’all have no idea of the fun I’m having here. Gonna call it in and get a glass of wine. It doesn’t take much. Guess I’ll get sh!t faced and go to bed. Then power will come on in middle of night if I’m lucky and wake me up because the TV was on.

#<£+¥?&$@“/ and just this ain’t no fun.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
What a nice surprise! Power just came back on!

It’s still raining.

I am not going to complain. My home is dry, not flooded. I am Blessed. I am not going to complain. I sure would like to pitch a hissy fit and have a total meltdown, but I’m gonna suck it up and count my blessings.

At least I got to mow a little today.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Woke up to rain. Pouring rain. Thankfully no 80 MPH winds. Supposed to be out of here by noon. No feeding this morning. I’ll go out when rain stops and dump water out of feed troughs, feed bottle babies, feed all the animals.

This is not going to help the unfortunate people whose homes flooded just weeks ago. Rain is falling over the watersheds of both the Trinity and San Jancinto Rivers.

My sister met with the man and real estate agent yesterday, that she is buying the house from. She thinks she may be able to move in 2-3 weeks. They discussed her renting the house for those weeks before they close. Moving can’t come fast enough.

Weldman

Herd Master
Reaction score
This will make greasing there and elsewhere easier, put it on the the end of the whip. Reason it didn't come off is cause there is a barrel that if tightened will lock on and you locked it on the nipple. This will work better.
Maybe I should be on call for this stuff, just send a picture through text, the problem and if in cell range I can reply back.
Screenshot 2024-05-31 at 08-37-49 Lock N Lube Grease Coupler XL.png