Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The Kawasaki mule was blowing white smoke and needed work. Couldn’t find anybody here to work on it besides a dealer, it’s a diesel and nobody wanted to tackle it. So Wednesday, I called the mechanic in Lindale that worked on it before and he always did all the work on the truck and car.

The mule also had 3 flat tires. I got out my air compressor and ran extension cords to the house. I aired them up and drove it to the trailer. I put the ramps on the trailer and drove the mule up on it. I used the winch to secure it to the front bar. Then I strapped down the back. I was kinda proud of myself.

I took it the 3 hours to Lindale, then had lunch with our dear friends. Robert and Sharon.

The mule needed 3 injectors. Danny could get them off the internet for $60 each, at the Kawasaki dealership they were $134 each. It will probably be ready next week.

Thursday morning I loaded stuff in the flatbed, horse panels, cow panels, a 16’ gate, chain link gates, couple of ladders, 2 culverts and some 4x4s. I put an outdoor table and chairs in the truck.

This morning I’ll go unload it all.

No, still haven’t closed on the farm.

Attachments

• 239E7AE6-A00A-41EA-A114-9B6C4DCA47F4.jpeg
    239E7AE6-A00A-41EA-A114-9B6C4DCA47F4.jpeg
    537.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 7361D5E9-3582-40F8-B26A-6A47AD70AF48.jpeg
    7361D5E9-3582-40F8-B26A-6A47AD70AF48.jpeg
    524.2 KB · Views: 39

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Good going with loading that Kawasaki yourself. The first time I hitched our stock trailer by myself (took a while but got 'er done) I did a little dance around the truck and trailer! :weee Luckily I was alone so no one to see me! LOL

Are you moving more stuff from the Lindale place? Or moving stuff to the new place? Did you remember the Daffodils?!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Ridgetop mentioned the burn ban in Texas, in her journal about their quick trip down to the new farm.... @Baymule also mentioned the dry conditions and the fire that was close to her recently. Heard from some friends that the meteorologists -weather guessers - have done some looking at records and in many places these friends say that the actual water recorded is more than 3 INCHES LESS than rainfall amounts in the horrific drought in 2011.
They are also saying that the numbers of livestock being sold is triple what it normally is this time of year. Cannot afford to buy 100-200 PER ROLL of hay to feed ...it will never come close to pencilling out... besides which there is no hay to be found.
One of the guys on a cattle forum I frequent, said they baled about 75 rolls of sorghum... and due to the situation, that feeding it did not make sense so he advertised it for $90 a roll and it was gone by nightfall.
There is a video on the forum of one of the farmers going down the road, and the line of trucks/trailers to go into the stockyard to sell was for MILES.... IN BOTH DIRECTIONS. I have looked up some of the stockyards and their normal numbers this time of year run 500-1,000 head... most are running 2,000 to 3500. One had several herd dispersals... and one had over 700 cows.... not cull cows but bred/breeding cows.....

Scary times... I told DS that we needed to see about keeping as many heifers as we could, for future sales as breeding stock.... This is what happened back after the 2011 drought... Cattle prices went very high for several years as farmers/ranchers tried to replace and replenish their herds....
Meat may come down a bit in the stores as the number of cattle sold increases the supply, but it will wind up going up after the glut to sell drops off because there won't be the cattle to replace them.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yup, we are back to 2011 drought. Grass is crunchy. Temps in the 100’s no rain.

Trees are dying. Many were damaged by the extreme cold weather in February 2021. Now, extreme heat and no rain.

Cattle being dumped means horses are being dumped too. A kill pen shipper told me and BJ that in the 2011 drought, he shipped out 40 18-wheeler loads of horses PER WEEK.

The sellers of my farm are still grazing their cattle on the property. It’s still theirs, can’t blame them. I’d do the same thing. I won’t be able to use it all anyway, it’s not fenced for sheep. I may talk to them about letting the cattle on the other part of the pasture.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve been whining about all the delays on closing on the farm. I whined about losing Trip to cancer. I’ve complained about all my problems.

Reality check this morning. I don’t HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. I’ve apologized to God and asked forgiveness for my whining and complaining. I’ve offered prayers for the family in this terrible situation.

I called Robert this morning, our dear friend and neighbor in Lindale.

He has a daughter with serious mental problems and has repeatedly warned his son in law, called sheriff department and tried to get her committed or locked up. He could almost see what was coming. All his warnings and pleading fell on deaf ears.

Last night his daughter stabbed herself and her 14 year old son, stabbing him in his sleep, multiple times in the back. He is dead. She was whisked away, in critical condition to an unknown hospital. Homocide investigation is being conducted, law was not giving out any information on her whereabouts. Robert’s son in law is distraught, his 2 grown daughters from first marriage are with him. Robert and Sharon are deeply grieved.

Sad situation.

Latest posts