Baymule’s Journal

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
One of the first things we will add to our ranch (after the fencing) is a big carport for the 5th wheel trailer, trucks, and stock trailer. Summer sun is worse than rain or snow for vehicles, and our California vehicles are from California so they won't be used to bad weather. :lol:

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Had a tree cutter at the farm yesterday, taking down big dead oaks, that were next to the house. Going back this morning, tonight I’ll post pictures. It was 104F when I got home at 2:30 yesterday, I took a nap. Going to be 103F today. I’m going to start on taking down a span of barbed wire this morning. It’s out in the open, no shade, so I’ll have to quit early. It’s a big pasture with field fence on 3 sides and this fence row is clean, so will be easier to take down and put up sheep and goat wire. One side is just across the driveway where a water faucet is, so will be easier on me this winter to care for the sheep.

Daylight is breaking, gotta go!

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
p
Trip hasn’t been doing well lately. He’s lost weight, not eating much and finally just quit eating. I tempted him with raw beef hamburger and steak. I cut the steak in fingernail sizes and hand fed him. He would only eat a small amount at a time. I gave him bread, cornbread, he loves both. He chewed with his mouth opening wide, dropping pieces of food. Depressed? Pain? Bad tooth? I made a vet appointment.

He wasn’t having any part of them trying to examine him, so they brought out a muzzle. He wouldn’t allow that either, so I took it. I suggested several times that they sedate him. I put the muzzle on him, several times, it failed. After I told them several more times to sedate him, and that when he came to after being neutered, he tried to bite everyone, the vet decided to sedate him. LOL Trip got real relaxed.

View attachment 92406

They put him on a stretcher to take him to X-Ray. The vet showed me the X-Rays, his stomach was distended, huge, full of gas, his intestines were inflamed, the intestine walls were thickened and full of gas.
Trip had hookworms, but they shouldn’t have caused all this. I wormed all the dogs last month.

The vet mentioned the possibility of lymphoma. No way to know for sure without opening him up. Don’t really want to do that, as a last resort, but even if we did, there is no cure for him.

Since he was sedated, the vet got the tube she uses on horses and cattle and tubed him. The techs squeezed his belly, releasing a lot of gas. They worked him over, shots of B12, fluids and manipulating more gas out.

Vet said bland diet for couple of weeks, no more steak for Trip. He had a medication for nausea, one for pain and one for hookworms. @Ridgetop suggested milk of magnesia so I got some today.

Trip’s appointment was at 3:45, we didn’t leave until 6:20. The vet and 3 techs stayed after 5, working on Trip. He came to, and was glad to jump in the truck to go home. I fixed him chicken and rice, he ate it up. His belly had to feel better without all that gas in it.

View attachment 92407

Today I bought 40 pounds of chicken leg quarters and a 20 pound bag of rice. I’ve cooked 10 pounds, pulled meat off the bones, got 2 half gallon jars of meat and huge pot of broth. Trip had a good lunch.

So this is where Trip and I are at. Does he have lymphoma? I don’t know. I’m really hoping it is something else. For the next few weeks, he’ll get rice, chicken, broth and medications for nausea, pain and to get rid of the hookworms. He’ll get a little milk of magnesia to make sure his intestines are working, the rice should add bulk to help things move along. We’ll see how it goes.

I know dogs come with an expiration date, but I figured Trip’s expiration date was a few years out, I’m sure hoping so. I’ve had enough loss, it needs to stop and give me a break.
poor guy, I will pray that he recovers fully - so glad they were able to give him some relief though.

Hideaway Pines

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had Trip put down today. All I could get him to eat was half a piece of bread, one tiny piece at a time. He backed away from my offering of chicken, and I knew. Cancer was killing his insides, I watched him all weekend, sleeping, barely breathing sometimes, other times panting, almost gasping for air. He wasn’t going to get any better, he was dying.

I took him for his last ride in the truck. He was standing, then slowly sank down, resting his head on the armrest, watching me with adoring eyes.

View attachment 92426

I cried all the way to the vet. At the vet’s I sat in the floor cradling his big head. The vet sedated him. Tears streamed down my face. I couldn’t hold it together. She gave him the drugs, his heart stopped and he was gone. Trip was 7 years old.

I called @Devonviolet and cried all the way home. She prayed a beautiful prayer.

I couldn’t let Trip suffer. My big white teddy bear didn’t understand, all he knew was that he was in pain and misery. I did the right thing, but why does it have to hurt so damned bad?
oh no... i am just now reading all your updates, man I am sooooo sorry. I know this was so hard to lose him, praying for your heart - poor dear.