Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chris and his girlfriend Ashley tore down the dog pen at sons house and back fence. Pulled T-posts, loaded sheep working equipment. I supervised and loaded the T-posts.

The front yard fence now has an extension, where I can put Cooper and Dessa during the day, close walk through gate and visiting dogs for Thanksgiving can use the front yard. Also gives Cooper a little more room.

Small pen built in sheep lot. Uno is now weaned. 2 months, 11 days, the little ba$tard has been breeding the young ewes I was going to put with Cooper. @Ridgetop said he’s too young to be fertile, I sure hope so. He’s made connection. I was out of cow panels here, to build a pen, haven’t been cleared for lifting/heavy work, but I got a pen for him now! And he’s in it! He’s out there yelling his unhappiness. He started humping the ewes at one week old. They’d line up at the bunk feeder and the little stinker went down the row. I was going to wean him at 3 months, keep him a month, fecal check, worm if needed, and Domingo could pick him up after first of year. Uno had other ideas. So I’ll work with him so he’s not scared, get him started on animal crackers, get him friendly but respectful. He’s a fine looking young ram and will sire some nice lambs—just hope he’s not an up and coming baby daddy HERE!

Another ewe was backed up to Ringo, just happened to be one I wanted him to breed. So I opened the gate and let her in. She is bred now.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Chris and his girlfriend Ashley tore down the dog pen at sons house and back fence. Pulled T-posts, loaded sheep working equipment. I supervised and loaded the T-posts.

The front yard fence now has an extension, where I can put Cooper and Dessa during the day, close walk through gate and visiting dogs for Thanksgiving can use the front yard. Also gives Cooper a little more room.

Small pen built in sheep lot. Uno is now weaned. 2 months, 11 days, the little ba$tard has been breeding the young ewes I was going to put with Cooper. @Ridgetop said he’s too young to be fertile, I sure hope so.
Ohhhh lordy - I think my ram lamb is related to Uno :duc ;) - he's been riding his sis since he was 2 weeks old. They're 5 weeks now. I better figure out a pen for him. Heck he can hang out with the wethers.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Ohhhh lordy - I think my ram lamb is related to Uno :duc ;) - he's been riding his sis since he was 2 weeks old. They're 5 weeks now. I better figure out a pen for him. Heck he can hang out with the wethers.
They ride each other at an very early age. I used to wean at 4 months, then found out that ram lambs can be fertile at 4 months. Not often, but they can. So I started weaning at 3 months and everything has been fine. Don’t wean your ram lamb until 3 months. It’s normal for them to hump each other. But Uno started consummating the humping. He’s not supposed to be fertile, but there’s always that high achiever.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
They ride each other at a very early age. I used to wean at 4 months, then found out that ram lambs can be fertile at 4 months. Not often, but they can. So I started weaning at 3 months and everything has been fine. Don’t wean your ram lamb until 3 months. It’s normal for them to hump each other. But Uno started consummating the humping. He’s not supposed to be fertile, but there’s always that high achiever.
Yeah I figured it was normal behavior, just joking around a bit 😊.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve been steadily working on the utility room shelves. It’s going slow because of painting the boards before using them, and very little space for that. Can only paint a few at a time. Use Kilz, let dry, use paint, let dry. Flip board over, repeat. But it is getting done.

After painting wall with Kilz, I textured it, let dry and painted the wall the next day.

16E2A845-BA16-40CB-A51A-AB3AF6E1F274.jpeg

I’ve worked every day, doing something, no matter how small, it’s all a series of steps. Too cold to paint outside, the paint won’t set. Throw in some rainy humid days and I’d just have a sticky mess.

I now have the 2x4s stood up in the corners with braces for top and bottom shelves. I have the bottom shelf on now, the top shelf is laid in place, one board is screwed down.

Last night I made Texas Cowboy Stew and cornbread. I invited Peggy and Bennet over for supper. Only problem was, the table was covered with Corning Ware, Pyrex mixing bowls, ramekins, other glass ware, the dehydrator, and the pressure canner, I call The Beast. No where to put them! So I loaded the dishwasher! Stuff is clean now, but still nowhere to put it. I put the dehydrator and The Beast on the shelf where they will go and marked the next shelf for height. At least I’m making progress.

875EF297-EC2A-468E-B0F9-847ED97B09CC.jpeg

I’ll get shelves finished, move stuff around and make room for all the stuff in the dishwasher. And maybe the stuff I haven’t unpacked yet.

Nice and clean, but it’s currently homeless.

ED92E66E-FC79-4280-B0B4-88D55FF40008.jpeg

This week I went to therapy on Wednesday and Friday. Usually I rest between therapy days, but Thursday I worked on shelves, going in and out, up and down steps, rifling through wood pile for more boards, and I was tired Friday morning. Therapist said I only have 3 more sessions left. I protested, saying that I’m not where I need to be, I haven’t even started climbing ladders yet. At the mention of ladders, she cut her eyes sideways at me, and she doubled down on me. She set the drag on the machines higher and I struggled to complete my exercises. I almost cried Uncle! I asked for more time, we will talk with supervisor after Thanksgiving.

Going to meet DD at my sister’s in Conroe today to get the 2 little girls. Somehow I’ll get shelves finished, pumpkin pies made, corn casserole made and all precooking done. Girls can help. LOL

Counting me, 10 people will be sleeping here. Not enough beds. So I got a couple of queen air mattresses. Didn’t open them, realized there wasn’t floor space for them. Took them back, went to Academy and got 2 cots. That will work. 2 more people are coming for Thanksgiving day. Lots to do, what I don’t get done, won’t get done. Eh.

I bought 3 new door handles at mobile home supply. 3 doors don’t have knobs. Doors jammed, pull knob to open, knob comes off, broken….. I ran into Harbor Freight, got a $7 tiny hand rasp, already shaved down one door, it works. Bring it on!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Gripe session. My DD and DSIL will finally be leaving in hopefully a few minutes for the 4 hour drive to my sisters house. They actually were going to leave at 9 AM, but the battery was dead. If in fact, they leave soon, plus a potty stop along the way, they will arrive at my sisters house at 3:30—maybe. Nope. Just got a text, ETA is 4:00. When they have somewhere to go, they drag around and take their time. How they make it to work on time, I don’t know.

It’s raining at my sister’s, will start here in an hour. By the time they get there, change car seats, visit a bit and I leave, it will still be raining and I’ll drive home mostly in the dark on narrow roads. Gripe.

Me? I’d be up and at ‘em bright and early. I know they can’t help a dead battery, but every time, it’s always something. Sigh.

I’m going outside to do evening feeding because I’ll be home late and it will be dark. And raining. I’ll leave a little early so I can fill up car and stop at grocery store for kid cereal, milk and eggs. Because once we load up, I’m not stopping.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanksgiving is canceled. I have a runny nose and sore throat. Because of my sister’s health problems I stopped at a drug store and bought 2 Covid tests. I’m positive for Covid. Bummer. I called DD and my sister and came home.