Baymule’s Journal

Youngfarmer2019

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I know just how bad that ice gets, but we are in nc, facing lower temps then we’ve ever faced in all the years we’ve been on the farm, down to 2 degrees right now, seeing how the goats do with the sitters. We’re out of town and still in a colder part of nc where it’s actually -5 degrees. NEVER faced temps this low🥶. I can only hope back at home the goaties, birds and rabbits are doing ok…

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Love that heater! Is it propane?

Yeah that ice is bad. Tomorrow who knows what here.😟 So windy it's blowing waves in them, so may not be as bad as calm cold. But it's loud and howling out there!!!
Yes it is propane. It’s a little big for that space, but I’ll live with it. Had to get on like granddaughters for running and playing next to it. Told them if they knocked it over and burned the hose down, I’d beat their little hiney’s. They giggled. They decided they liked the heat from the heater. Then they played in the box and tore it up. Always the box, it’s the best toy.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know just how bad that ice gets, but we are in nc, facing lower temps then we’ve ever faced in all the years we’ve been on the farm, down to 2 degrees right now, seeing how the goats do with the sitters. We’re out of town and still in a colder part of nc where it’s actually -5 degrees. NEVER faced temps this low🥶. I can only hope back at home the goaties, birds and rabbits are doing ok…
I’m February 2021, in Lindale, Texas, we got to -6F on our farm. Had sheep, dogs, chickens and horses. I deep bedded the sheep and dogs, they snuggled in and were fine. Also had 15 brand new baby lambs, didn’t lose a one. Horses ran and cavorted in the snow, then huddled in the barn out of the wind. Chickens were fine too. I hauled boiling water to animals to melt ice and give them a drink. We had 3 ice storms 2 snow storms, plus random snows, 10” of snow total.

I tell you this, to maybe rest your fears a little. Your animals are tougher than you think. Hope and pray they are all safe and being well cared for in this cold.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Son and I turned on water yesterday, cold water ran fine, hot water frozen up somewhere. Turned it back off. No baths for little girls, no showers for 15 year old, son or me. There will be a dash for the bathroom at my sister’s house this afternoon.

I hope I don’t come home to a busted pipe that has to be fixed. But if I do, then I’ll get it fixed.

That add on utility room situation must get fixed, if I have to remove the outside metal R panels and insulate walls. Floor is cold, dunno what I can do about that. Crawling around under the room, hanging insulation doesn’t sound appealing to me. I’ll pay somebody to do that. That would just creep me out-and not much does-but but crawling under the house with barely breathing room, yeah, that gets me.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just came in from feeding horse and sheep. It’s 19F, only 8 degrees warmer than yesterday, but what a difference! Now I can better understand my northern friends when they say 10 degrees feels like a heat wave after 10 below zero! LOL

Boiling water to go melt ice.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
-5 out yesterday with 40mph winds. The animals don't mind it is around 0 today and windy. My old Airedale would sleep out side under a pine tree in weather like this. It's so windy that the whole inside of my barn has an inch of snow in it. Got woodburner going it's about 78 inside.

Just a warning watch that heater it can put off carbon monoxide and u won't wake up

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm sure ya'll have tried it - but I remember somewhere about floating things in water troughs to prevent them from icing over - like a basket ball, or there was something about milk jugs filled with salt water that still float.
Granted I've never tried it - or can I we don't get that cold here. - but just putting that idea out there.
Stay warm!!
Fingers crossed for no burst pipes (grew up with dripping faucets and a couple burst pipes).

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Went to my sister’s house 11/2hours away on Christmas Eve. Granddaughters made a beeline for showers. I had to wait for hot water to catch up.

Had a great Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I stayed another night and came home early day after Christmas. I waited until mid day and turned water back on. No busted pipes!

Kitchen was/is a mess. Did a load in the dishwasher. Been stripping beds and washing sheets that may or may not get put back on beds.

Oldest granddaughter was sick with body aches, sinus congestion and drainage, sore throat and general crud. Now I’ve got it. Thinking I’ll just hibernate for the week.

It’s warming up, I’m glad. I don’t like those kind of low temperatures and not set up for that. Have work to do. Right now I feel like a truck hit me and backed up to see what it hit.

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for the "catching the crud".... the kids seem to carry everything and share it with everyone. And at that teenage "age" they won't slow down or . admit they are starting to feel bad until they are just SICK.... can't miss anything going on. :th:barnie:he......

Glad that your water is okay. Waiting on it to warm up a bit more before I try mine. At least it is 40 out there and SUNNY....

Most of the ice is off the trees and will melt on the ground here today in the sun.

Just take it a little easy today and take plenty of C, Echinacea, and Goldenseal.