Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question.. but I've never had any dealings with sheep other than years ago at a petting zoo...
They have SUCH long, dense coats/wool - when it rains for days and days, does it just run off because of the oils or does it soak down a bit? I keep thinking about my grooming days when people would bring in Old English Sheepdogs with a year's worth of matting and we'd find maggots from their skin NEVER actually drying out!!!!
Of course - sheep are DESIGNED to keep that wool so they wouldn't get nasty and extreme like that. But I was just wondering about how they handle THIS much rain.

Not a stupid question at all.

Mine are hair sheep. They grow in a winter coat like a dog, but shed it out in spring and summer. Some have poor shedding capabilities, those generally get culled. I have one ewe that has a woolly back, but produces fantastic lambs with a good hair coat.

Mine are wet but I watch them shake like a dog and water flies. Hair sheep have lanolin but not as heavy as wool sheep.

These are horrible conditions right now. In a way, it’s good because I walk the fields and see the flow of water. I can throw up some swales to catch water drainage, giving it a longer time to soak in, rather than running off the farm. I just have to make my future barn high and dry for times like this.

Finnie

Herd Master
Reaction score
It’s still raining. According to a 24 hour radar I watched, it may clear out by 9 PM this evening. Thundering now.

One more day. Just gotta get through today. Then 4 days of sunshine. Just have to get through today.
Too many dark gloomy rainy days in a row make me sad. I’m glad you will be getting sunshine starting tomorrow!

BrahmerQueen

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
ONE puppy at a time! In about a year, I’ll be looking for a AKC registered brindle female.

It’s FINALLY not raining. 36F with high of 56F and sunshine today. I’m so damned tired of mud and pouring rain. I get to come inside and the animals don’t. I hope I can get it all together to get front field old fences cleaned up, old fences taken down, new fence put up, which WILL happen. AND a small barn put up so the animals will have DRY shelter. That is my goal and push to get it done, for this year. Cross fencing would be a big plus.