Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I went to church. I needed to not think about murdering Buford and calm down. LOL
I watered and fed Buford, an hour later, he was still in the corner, maybe he was contemplating his crimes.

I think he was just having fun—until I got to him. He knew he did wrong and he knew he was in trouble.

I’m thinking put Dandelion in the kennel with Buford. And me. And a flyswatter. And beat the chain link of the kennel with the flyswatter. Growl, make noise. He needs to go back in the kennel for awhile.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let me throw this out there. Remember the pictures of where I want to put the small barn? The standing water? Low spot? Agricultural fabric was suggested as a means to keep the fill dirt from sinking into oblivion.

Here’s what I’m thinking. I have to replace my roof, 14 squares. Why not use the torn off shingles for underlayment in the barn? I can park my flatbed at the end of the house, toss shingles on it and pull it in the field. Lay out shingles, pulling tacks, staples, etc and call the dump truck.

Getting a roll off dumpster for the waste shingles will cost about $800. Buying the agricultural fabric would cost money too. The shingles would be free, no cost for disposal, only my time for clearing out tacks, and I’ve got time…… LOL

If I have enough, I can also lay some for the “road” part from the driveway to the barn for unloading feed.

Thoughts?

canesisters

Herd Master
Reaction score
Let me throw this out there. Remember the pictures of where I want to put the small barn? The standing water? Low spot? Agricultural fabric was suggested as a means to keep the fill dirt from sinking into oblivion.

Here’s what I’m thinking. I have to replace my roof, 14 squares. Why not use the torn off shingles for underlayment in the barn? I can park my flatbed at the end of the house, toss shingles on it and pull it in the field. Lay out shingles, pulling tacks, staples, etc and call the dump truck.

Getting a roll off dumpster for the waste shingles will cost about $800. Buying the agricultural fabric would cost money too. The shingles would be free, no cost for disposal, only my time for clearing out tacks, and I’ve got time…… LOL

If I have enough, I can also lay some for the “road” part from the driveway to the barn for unloading feed.

Thoughts?
Sounds like a plan to me. You know I'm a BIG fan of 'use what ya got'. You'd need to overlap a good bit to make sure they don't eventually tilt & slide under the mud like a mini version of plate tectonics

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
The first thought is the lack of permeability, stability, etc. With a concrete slab you lose permeable but, generally the large area and thickness gives stability. Shingles won't give the stability factor.

Don't get me wrong -- I love the reuse, save $, and all. Just not sure about failure possibilities in the future, building stability, etc. Shingles are pretty slick on water/mud. :idunno

Possibly with a perimeter edge to hold in place? Concrete blocks? Just thinking along with you 🤔🤫

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Barn will be 20’x20’ with 20’ leanto’s off each side. I’m thinking no shingles under the sheep barn, dogs dig holes. Sheep do too for that matter.
I’ll have 1400 square feet of shingles for 400 square feet of barn, plus the short stretch from the barn to the driveway.

Shingles laid down, with no less than one foot of select fill dirt over them. With a roof over it, it should stay dry. No under layment in the sheep barn part, just plenty of dirt.

I’m throwing it out there to get everybody’s input. Ya’ know-meeting of the Great BYH Minds! (train wreck, right?)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have a lot of things in the works. First thing to do is widen the driveway entrance. It is a narrow, sharp 90degree turn off the road I live on, which takes a sharp 90 degree turn right opposite my driveway. Anything over a 20’ trailer isn’t gonna make that turn into my driveway. Son has to go around the bend and go turn around in a neighbor’s place and then it’s a straight shot into my driveway. Leaving, he has to take the straight shot down the road to the neighbor’s to turn around, then come back and make the turn in the road.

The county will set a culvert and add it onto the inadequate one I already have, I just have to but the culvert. There are 2 mailboxes at the end of my driveway, mine and somebody else’s. By Federal law, I cannot move the other mailbox.

The other mailbox goes t the land locked properly behind me. Bennet’s grandfather gave access to the great grandfather of the present owner, many, many years ago, thus the private road that is my address also. It’s a real screwy set up. Bennet still owns the land on the north side of me, where the private road is.

Nobody lives there, but a cousin of the owner used to live in the run down house and still gets mail in this mailbox. She shows up periodically to get her mail. I got her phone number from Peggy and spoke to her, explaining the situation. She called her cousin and told him. Cousin the owner doesn’t get mail here. She called me back, gave me his number, I called him. He lives in Houston and rarely comes up here. We chatted.

Upshot is, he’s going to call the Kennard Post Office on Monday and see if he can “hire” a local contractor ( me) to move the mailbox. If that’s agreeable to Federal law, then I can move the mailbox.

Are y’all with me so far? This story to be continued………

Now Part 2!

Alllllllll week, last week-nothing! I called the absentee owner on Friday, got voice mail, left message. Monday. Nothing. Ol’ Baymule is getting fidgety! Tuesday I sent a text. Starting to hate this guy, a 3 minute or less phone call to the Post office, giving me permission to move the mailbox is all it would take. What’s the &%€£¥+*?! PROBLEM???? You don’t even live here!!! AAARRGGHHH!!

Phone text alert went off. He made the call, I have permission to move the mailbox! I don’t hate him anymore!

I bought ant and roach spray yesterday and soaked my mailbox in it. Fire ants moved into mine and the other mailboxes and even brought their eggs and larva! I sprayed my mailbox, other one had mail in it. I sent a text to the lady, reluctant to poison her mail and she came last night, fought a mighty war with the fire ants and claimed her mail! I sprayed a drowning amount of Raid on them. No more free rent on the 2 spacious high rise apartment complexes!!!

This morning I put on rubber gloves and wiped out dead ants with paper towels. I dug a new hole, pulled up mailbox and reset it.

I called the county commissioner. He’s coming out Tuesday morning.

Stay tuned for Part 3!