Baymule’s Journal

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
We almost culled Princess (who was a bottle lamb) due to her size. At a year old, she was hanging around 80 pounds and our minimum preference is 95-100 pounds. At around 14 months her growth went into overdrive and she stays right around 150 when she isn't with lambs. She has big lambs and just had twins (both a little over 10 pounds)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’m am kicking myself. I am mad at myself. I thought I could keep an eye on Buford. Indeed, every time I checked on him, he was under the shade tree with Sentry and Sheba. On one of my “checks” I didn’t see Dandelion. I found her-played with to death. I put Buford in his pen, got the dead lamb, tossed her on him, screamed, yelled and made a lot of noise.
@Ridgetop i called Eric and my response was exactly what he said. I told him it was all my fault, I knew he wanted to play with her, but have kept an eye on him before. Dandelion is dead, my mistake, I own it. Eric was glad to hear me say that, instead of blaming the dog. I asked where to go from here. Eric said no turn out with lambs, he may “play” with the next smallest and weakest. I’ll have to double down on intensive training. I have 8 ewes due soon, Buford’s pen is next to the ewes. Eric said to let him in with the newborns, if he so much as looks at one, correct loudly. Every. Day. So as long as I have lambs, Buford will get training.

I’m sick about Dandelion. My fault. The little granddaughters and I had a funeral, burying her in a corner of the small front yard. I told them what happened and used it as an example of stepping up, admitting my mistake and taking responsibility for it.

I messed up, Buford messed up. Intense training on the way. This is the only dead lamb. Period. Look out Buford. Mom is gonna be on you like stink on poop.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
:hugs I am so sorry about sweet Dandelion. :hit A larger lamb might have survived the BFF play but she was so tiny. I wish there was something I could do to help you.

Ozel has play episodes too. We have to keep close track of her and how she is interacting with the sheep. Yesterday the family was on the field removing the torn-up chain link from the kennel frames. Ozel was with them. She was good for hours, then all of a sudden, she starting chasing the ewes. Bad Ozel! DH and DS1 saw her just as she ran down toward them. Called her away from the sheep and then put her in the other yard.

To avoid play episodes when DH turns the sheep out in the morning, he puts her on a leash and ties her to the fence. The sheep rush out past her, she gets excited, he tells her to stay, and he praises her for sitting still. Hoping that she will gradually remain calm when they race past her. We need to keep reinforcing the training verbally when she is off the leash too.

But sooo sorry about Dandelion.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I’ve been mowing. My 23 HP Kubota has a 4’ bush hog, so I ain’t exactly setting any world records. I’m mowing in the back field, it’s the biggest, the fence is the worst. And it has a bodacious crop of hemlock I want to get mowed before it sets seed. And bitter weed too. Too bad I can’t put the sheep in there, they ate the flowers off the bitter weed in their pasture. Bitterweed was getting 21/2’ tall! Son mowed the sheep pasture and the front pasture, they are the most important. I’ll chip away at the back field until I get it done. Nearly out of diesel, so I parked the tractor. Truck went to the body shop yesterday for hail damage, so not hauling diesel in my car. Taking a short break.

Latest posts