Baymule’s Journal

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
My new post and mailbox. That took up my morning. Now I’ll just cuddle a lamb. I really really want to go see if Cookie’s lamb is a ewe or ram….

IMG_4413.jpeg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just checked on Cookie and her lamb. It’s a ewe, she is red and white spotted. Cookie hasn’t passed the placenta yet, but it’s hanging. Cookie is daughter of Eve and Ringo. Lamb is out of Cooper. Sure wish I could’ve had that black ewe lamb too. At least I have one.

IMG_4416.jpeg

IMG_4415.jpeg

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have started using the Dr. Pol trick of dumping a cup of cold water from the water buckets on a lamb that doesn't respond to rubbing or swinging. It is amazing how a "dead" lamb will suddenly gasp and shake its head coming back to life! If you are getting weak labs, do a soil test for selenium on your pasture. Your soil might be low in selenium which means your grass will be low. It is possible that some of the troubles I have been having with weak or dead lambs is from a lack of selenium, as well as management practices of over feeding. I thought our hay from Imperial Valley was high in selenium but turns out it's low so I just got a bottle of Bo-Se from my vet and will be vaxing my ewes with it before breeding. I used to vax the dairy goats with selenium at the beginning of breeding season and the kids were really vigorous. If you have a selenium lack, you will have to get Bo-Se from your vet since it has been a prescription drug for at least 30 years.

Speaking of vets, I am so happy to have found a great couple of vets. I may have mentioned that this is a traveling practice from the next county. They are young women vets, not long out of school, wonderful with the animals, treat everything, and I have gotten a great relationship with them. They go home, look up any questions I have about any possible disease, and actually
CALL BACK WITH THE ANSWERS! A lot of vets just shine you on when you ask questions and you end up going online for answers. Dr. Lau is the best! She even called her old vet teacher to clarify something and called me with the answer. Having finally found these Super Vets I am sad about leaving them behind. I suggested they move with us to Texas! ;)

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Speaking of vets, I am so happy to have found a great couple of vets. I may have mentioned that this is a traveling practice from the next county.
I'm guessing the next county over isn't in my direction. I have yet to get a vet to even give a call back. About ready to tax friends that are dog vets (really don't want to take advantage of them though, I did go to a practice with a friend last year and found out the hard way not good).

CLSranch

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Nora’s lamb hat got dog napped last night just died
Bummer Bay. After what all you've done to catch the problems and help I was sure they'd pull through. Maybe Sentry could sense a different problem and that was the underlying reason for the dog napping. I've seen stranger.

SageHill

Herd Master
Reaction score
Nora’s lamb hat got dog napped last night just died. It’s storming outside, so at least she was warm, dry and as comfortable as I could make her.

Good point about the selenium. I will check into that.
Ah geeze. So sorry - damn- why can't things be easy for awhile? So many seem to be having trouble. Strange all at once. :hugs

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@peteyfoozer I took pictures of the shelters I have. We get hard rains, the pens and shelters get muddy, the ground is low.

This is a picture of the pens.

IMG_4423.jpeg

The ewe pen, 2 huts and a 2 cow panel hoop shelter.

IMG_4418.jpeg

IMG_4419.jpeg

A small pen for new moms, weaning lambs, or for Buford. Pallet shelter with front porch to block afternoon sun.

IMG_4421.jpeg

Ram pen with Quonset hut and pallet shelter.

IMG_4424.jpeg

My plans are to build a 20’x20’ small hay barn with 20’ lean-to’s off each side. Right off the driveway in the front field. I’ll have to haul in dirt to build it up.