Baymule’s Pigs 2018 HEREFORDS!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Do you weigh them before butcher and if so how?

Generally we get a live weight at slaughter drop off, then a hanging weight after they are skinned and gutted. They have weight tapes that you can wrap around their bellies right behind their front legs, but good luck on that! Mine wouldn't hold still for that. LOL

We mix in acorns and apples when we finish our pigs, gives the fat that extra :love

We usually pick up or rake up the acorns in the yard for the pigs, but these two will be gone before that. So, we'll just let the sheep out, they have their favorite tree they run to first.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
How does Hereford meat compare to Berkshire? The folks next to us at the Farmers Market were selling meat from their Berkshire pigs and we traded them some plants for some sausage. I just cooked that up and if someone asked me to guess what kind of meat it was I wouldn't have been sure it was pork. The texture was more like our ground lamb sausage.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Our first feeder pigs were half Berkshire and half Large Black. Their meat was good. We have 1 of these hogs sold and half of the other, which gives us a half. So we'll be finding out.

Honestly, the best pork we have raised yet is those two grown hogs we bought last year for $75. We kept them 36 days, fed them soured corn and took them to slaughter. The fat was marbled in the meat, it had a good flavor and even though they were older hogs, the meat was tender. Have no idea what kind of hogs they were.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have never had sausage as lean as this. I made patties and when I was cooking, I had to add some olive oil to keep it from sticking. Of course I guess that is on the processor for how much fat was added. They sell half or whole but their prices are on the extreme side since I think they usually deal a bit closer to Nashville.