BAYMULE FINALLY HAS SHEEP!! BABIES!

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
:weeefor sheep! Most people around me could care less about a sheep having papers I have found. Depends on your plans for them. I think a dorper/katahidn mix would be great for producing meaty lambs.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll. My dreams are coming true. I walked outside last night to check on them. They were bedded down on the inside fence next to the driveway. This morning the first thing i did was to look out to see my girls. They don't know it yet, but they will be spoiled here. They are in a small pasture with lots of trees, several very large cedars. I figure at some point that i will have to put protective fencing around them, we'll see. As we go along, we'll get more cleared out for them. I do have another small pasture that is fenced, so I can rotate them. We have more fencing to do, it will just take awhile. The horses are on approximately 2 1/2 acres and have stomped down a lot of the briars and brush. When we get more fencing up, we'll move the horses and let the sheep in the pasture the horses are in now to do some more clean up.

My goal is to custom grow for customers that want lamb raised as organically as possible. From the interest that I have already found, I think my only problem will be that I can't meet demand. That will be a nice problem to have. People that want lamb for meat don't care about papers, can't eat them anyway. :gig I love the way Dorpers go from a white, black headed sheep to all kinds of splotchy colors as a cross bred. What fun!

norseofcourse

Herd Master
Reaction score
My goal is to custom grow for customers that want lamb raised as organically as possible. From the interest that I have already found, I think my only problem will be that I can't meet demand. That will be a nice problem to have.
Very nice! Similar goal here, too, and since my flock is small I've had very little trouble selling out on lambs with only some word of mouth advertising.

Will you be saving the skins to be processed?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very nice! Similar goal here, too, and since my flock is small I've had very little trouble selling out on lambs with only some word of mouth advertising.

Will you be saving the skins to be processed?
Tell me about saving the skins. What do I do with them and how do I send them to be processed? And where? And do you sell your lambs on the hoof? Hanging weight? I am thinking selling them as hanging weight. $4 to $6 a pound seems to be the going rate. How much do you get for yours, if you don't mind my asking.