Baymule's 2020 Feeder Pigs!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow, that amazes me. I would love to use every bit of the animal for all these purposes. Lots of work yes, but what reward. Y’all are teaching me so much. I will read that post about the lard. I just made a blackberry pie this weekend and was disappointed the crust wasn’t flaky as my granny’s used to be. They raised hogs and cattle so I’m sure she used lard.

Lots of people here and on SS do many homestead type things, BUT they don't post the process or pictures. So when I do something new to me, I try to take others along so they can learn from my success/failures. LOL

Here is a pie crust recipe I found on the internet. It is the best flaky crust ever and it uses lard! Sorry about the sideways, I took a picture of the recipe because I am lazy and didn't want to type all that out. LOL LOL

1598439248279.png

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
@ChickenMomma Save the offal too. I can dog food for my dogs and now they won't eat their kibble without the "good stuff" over it. LOL I also make "dog gravy" out of meat grease or bacon grease. They love that too.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
That ought to keep you smiling for awhile. Any idea how much meat you netted?
Hanging weight was 222 pounds. Don't know what we wound up with. Our customer didn't want the bacon, since that processor doesn't make bacon or ham. So we swapped them sausage for the slabs of bacon. I'll brine it one slab at a time and refreeze it. Then when I get them all done, we'll spend a couple of days smoking them. Home smoked is so good! And we'll give our customer some bacon too.

Latest posts