Baymule's 2020 Feeder Pigs!

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
I love the name Picklehead!! Sooo cute! Can’t imagine why the other name wasn’t a hit?? Lol. They are cute pigs. Our dogs don’t like out pot belly pigs. Well, correction, didn’t. Now, Ruby, my very fat bulldog, loves, Portly, my pretty fat pot. They walk each other around the yard. It’s comical. But at first they barked like crazy through the pen!! Luckily, the one time that our feeder, Slim Jim got out, none of the dogs were out...too cold. bulldogs are quite lazy. So two....I’m guessing you guys like a lot of pork? Or do you share a lot with the family? Acorns in a coffee can? Let me guess, you also have those growing on trees down there too? Geez...we have nothing so lucky up here...our pigs are getting beer grain right now and I’m not happy? I guess it is ok for Slim Jim, but not for my pot or the mini...they have to keep their girlish figure. Chris assures me, it’s before the fermentation process...we get it free. He also gets free scraps from a friend for the pig....buckets of junk food. Poor pig had Chinese food last week...probably diarrhea then. :lol: Can’t wait to see them progress. They sure are cute. I like pigs. :)

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I finally saw them eating from the feed bin and getting a drink from the hog nipple.

153A56E6-92FF-465F-8C9F-29EEA978AB5D.jpeg

JHP Homestead

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
The white pig, named by the 3 year old is Elsa. The one with black spots, named by the will be 5 years old on Tuesday, is Carrot. LOL
It’s fun when kids name animals.

Last summer we had a friendly cat show up that my almost 4 year old DS took a liking to, DS named it “my kitty” but DH and I couldn’t call it that, because:
“It’s not YOUR kitty, it’s MY kitty”, says DS. 🤣

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Will a racoon bother a pig that small?
Nope. The pig would probably go after the raccoon. Pretty much nothing bothers pigs. Maybe a bobcat would snag a baby, small baby, or a mountain lion would attack a pig, especially one that was penned up. Feral hogs have no predators, not even the piglets. The adults are so mean that no predator wants to tangle with them.

Duckfarmerpa1

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hey Baymule...question about the pig palace. I know your land is entirely different than ours. Ours gets very wet a lot, due to the snow sooo many months of the year. Righ5 now, some of the pigs are outside, with pig sheds...but, Chris has built them wooden platforms for a lot of the areas so that they are not in mud very much. Now he’s talking about putting down concrete...for pigs!! I don’t have concrete for my parking spot...but the pugs are going to get a sloped slab so the poop runs down, like his family does with dairy cows?! Have you heard of this? He said he’s seen it a ton before. Not concrete the whole area...so they can still root...I suppose it would make clean up easier. But...I want anothe4 barn..and he is putting on the breaks...yet the pigs get a concrete castle? Ugh!

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
Be very careful about concrete. It is very hard on their legs. Sloped will allow some of the liquid run off but if too sloped, the pigs could get their backs down the hill and not be able to get up.
Most dairy cows that are in confinement dairies have feet and leg problems from being on concrete alot. Don't know how it would affect the fatter mini and pot belly type pigs.

Latest posts